Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: air/water leak

air/water leak

I just read a post on not using gaskets. You could end up with an air leak at the intake system cuasiing a lean condition. AT the exhaust you can have a water leak hence hydro lock. All my gaskets are new except for the 2 at the D plate. I was wondering how/if I can check for a air or water leak.

+1
    Pressure test the engine for air leak. Pressure test the cooling system for leaks.

Well the engine it self is a reman. Pressure tested at the shop. I'm just concern with my install of the intake manifold and exhaust.

I looked for old post on how too. Any one can tell me how to and what I need.

+1
    Plug the exhaust, plug the intake, and plug the pulse lines. Then pump air in (with pressure gauge hooked to the pump) and watch to see how well the whole engine holds air pressure. Test at somewhere between 5 and 10 psi for 6 to 10 minutes.

Thanks Cutlass but what do I use to plug and could you be lil more specific on where I plug?

+1
    In the "Yamaha How To" section, there is a good sticky thread on the subject. Here it is:
    Pressure-Testing-Two-Stroke-Engines
    And in the "Old School" section, there is another good thread. Here's that one:
    GP1200 pressure testing ideas

Read through those 2 threads for ideas. If you have any questions or want to confirm what you think you need to do, post back here. I'll help you out. There's definitely more then one way to do this.

Great thanks!!!!!!

Let me see if I have this right. My engine was tested at the shop. It is a reman. I myself was wondering if I connected the exhaust correct (tight enough so no air or water leak.) Now all the links I see. They are testing the engine itself. Is testing yhour exhaust for leak something that is done? I worried my last build, I mihgt have had a water leak in the exhaust causing engine failure. I was told I had a lean condition that caused failure. I just really want to check everything twice and then again. This year I hope to be out riding not reading post lol

I figure if i test either the water ports or the exhaust chamber itself. If there is no leak (wheather I checked the water ports or exhaust chamber) checking one would mean the other is ok too.

I thinking if I connect a pump to the port that connects to where the flush hose goes. Then plug up all the spot/ports on exhaust. Put a cover where the outer cvr exhaust (think it is called the stinger) connects to the waterbox this should work. This will tell me if I would have a water leak hence also a air leak in exhaust.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information