97 Kawasaki STX 1100

95 polaris adding ocean pro filters question?

Ive read several posts here on Green hulk but Im so confused. I actually called and spoke with Ken from Ocean Pro....He tells me I can just add those filters and power tune by adjusting the main metering screw. He says theres no reason to jet your carbs. He went as far as to say there just filters. Your not gonna gain that much power that you should need to jet your carbs. I mentioned the instructions that came with those filters from Polaris. Stating to add the 102.5 main jets. He stated that Polaris purchased his ocean pro filter kits directly from him for resale and had there own instructions that they included with each kit. He knows they had a lean problem especially with the PTO cylinder but it wasnt related to adding his filters.... He saw no reason for me to jet the carbs..... SO which is it? Do I rejet to the 102.5 and if so what are my starting points for the metering screws for all 3 carbs, or do I just readjust the carbs and if so how many turns rich? Thanks in advance......95 Polaris sl 750 fuji blue

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    The 650 and 750 had very restrictive FA's from the factory. The OP Vortex will allow much more air. Although Ken knows his product, I would follow the Polaris instructions. You will never hurt anything by going too rich.

Now if you go too lean, that's a whole different story.

If you buy the larger jets and DON'T actually need them, so what!!! You're out $10 and have the original jets still.

Always start out fat with the fuel and take it away to reach your MAX RPM. That's the safe way to do it.

Your lows won't be affected by the FA's so no need to adjust the low speed screws.

Add the larger Mains, start with 2 turns OUT on the high speed screws, and turn them IN 1/8-1/4 turn at a time until you reach your best RPM or until your piston wash looks ideal.

That's how i would go about it.

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    The 650 and 750 had very restrictive FA's from the factory. The OP Vortex will allow much more air. Although Ken knows his product, I would follow the Polaris instructions. You will never hurt anything by going too rich.

Now if you go too lean, that's a whole different story.

If you buy the larger jets and DON'T actually need them, so what!!! You're out $10 and have the original jets still.

Always start out fat with the fuel and take it away to reach your MAX RPM. That's the safe way to do it.

Your lows won't be affected by the FA's so no need to adjust the low speed screws.

Add the larger Mains, start with 2 turns OUT on the high speed screws, and turn them IN 1/8-1/4 turn at a time until you reach your best RPM or until your piston wash looks ideal.

That's how i would go about it.
    Ok I will do, The instructions I found were from here on Green Hulk and that kit came with the oil injection plates which I wont be using. Im going to use a 1994 intake with the injectors in it... Should I still be going with the 102.5 jets? Also do you know what the stock jets were that came in a 95 polaris sl750. Id like to know both the mains and pilot jet size if possible. While I have the carbs apart I want to check both jets to be sure they havent been changed in the past. Never know with a 15 yr old ski. Ive tried looking in my service manual but I dont see any info...

+1
    Yes, try the 102.5 jets first.

95 750

Main jet 90
    pilot 75
    Hi speed screw 1M 1/2C 3/4P
    low speed screw 1/2
    idle 1200-1300 IN WATER
    Needle and seat pop off pressure 10-18 psi

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    Yes, try the 102.5 jets first.

95 750

Main jet 90
    pilot 75
    Hi speed screw 1M 1/2C 3/4P
    low speed screw 1/2
    idle 1200-1300 IN WATER
    Needle and seat pop off pressure 10-18 psi
    Got it, I pulled the carbs apart today and thats exactly what was in it 75 pilot and 90 mains... Ordered the 102.5 jets last night so gotta wait till they arrive.... Carbs still look new. Of course they should I just rebuilt them last yr.... Looked at the plugs today and the front and center plugs looked good but the rear pto looked alittle lean... Still got good compression, no damage I hope. Wish I could see better inside the cylinder.... Tempted to pull a head and take a peek but Ill try monitoring the plugs and the top of the piston for now... Want to make a couple runs with the new parts first..

+1
    Get a good LED flashligth that fits down the plug hole to check piston wash. Or a bore scope is even better.

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    Get a good LED flashligth that fits down the plug hole to check piston wash. Or a bore scope is even better.
    Great idea. Im looking on ebay now. I found a 16" led flex light..... May do the job.... $10.50 Cant wait for some warm weather... We are still having shotty weather here in Idaho...

Thread Information