Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What type of oil do you use?

Hello everyone, I am new to these forums. I just recently picked up a 1999 Ultra 150 with low hours on it (64). I was wondering some of the basic things I should check for/do before hitting the water. I plan on changing the oil and was wondering what types of transmission oil and 2-stroke oil everyone is running. I have heard some good things about Amsoil and was considering using that in my transmission. Thanks for the input!

+1
    Well theres not a transmission and the only oil in the jetski is the 2-cycle oil for the engine. However, it is different than most brands of 2-cycle PWCs. The front and rear of the engine hold a certain amount of 2-cycle oil that dont require changing because it is constantly being used and replentished by the oil pump. The jetpump bearings are sealed and dont require lube. You just replace the bearings and seals when theres a problem.

I have always used Quicksilver brand TCW-3 rated oil but last year I started using the synthetic blend Quicksilver TCW-3. I hear that Quicksilver the same oil as Kawasaki brand along with Johnson/Evinrude oil maybe with a different color dye. I haven't had any problems with mine after 140 hours of use. I also run an additional 4oz of oil per 5 gallons of gas in the tank after someone mentioned that the oil pump really dont supply enough oil to the engine at prolonged WOT.

so the only oil that I have to worry about is the 2-stroke oil in the injector pump, correct? I may run pennzoil tc-w3 100% synthetic. Has anyone run this type and if so how did you like it?

+1
    Blue Marble.

+1
    I hear a lot of folks using Pennzoil brand. I would think full synthetic would be better for your engine. I just have always used Quicksilver with no problems so....
    I beleive it will be fine as long as its TCW-3. I would steer clear of the Supertec and cheaper brands.

I like PJ1 Silverfire. It is smokless. Well, it at least it "smokes less".

Red Line 2-stroke Racing oil is all I have used for 23+ years on all my standups. (Okay, I've tried Yamaha 2-stroke, Kawi 2-stroke, and a few other from time to time in emergencies)
    I use AmsOil for my Trucks transmission, and AmsOil for my Ultra LX and Ultra 300x engines (marine Grade 10-40).
    But the Redline Racing 2-stroke oil has never been matched IMHO. (For reduced smoke, less noise, high quality, less fouling, engine longgevity, etc) are all reason why I will never switch.

+1
    Don't use Amsoil 2 stroke oils in any oil injection ski. I found out they have something in them that evaporates after a while (2 weeks) and the oil really thickens up. Its fine for premix ski's but not injected. Very bad if the ski tends to sit or be stored over the winter.
    I actually tested this, put out an ounce of Kawi oil and an ounce of Amsoil HP Injector and after 2 weeks, the Kawi oil was the same but the Amsoil had really thickend up. Not sure if someting is evaporating out of the Amsoil or its absorbing moisture causing it to thicken.
    Try the experiment if you don't believe me. I know the Amsoil dealers here will flame this, but thats cause the truth hurts.
    Burned up 3 engines before i discovered this now I run the Kawi oil and have had zero issues with it. Nothing changed except the oil mfg.
    Kawi, Redline, Pennzoil, Quicksilver all tend to be fine.

Now being a 1999, you need to check the oil lines for cracks, its very common for them to crack. If one does, then your motor will fail.
    Run it on the hose and be sure the pisser is flowing and all the pissers above the jetpump are flowing. Again, a seized motor will result if not checked.
    Jetpump bearings need to be checked, remove pump and check for roughness in the bearings or signs the impeller has hit the housing. No for and aft play in the pump.
    Check your oil pump cable near the pump, it tends to fray and could break. If it does you go to max oil flow, so it won't seize.

Stock Flame arrestor/intake is a must or else it will run lean.
    Never remove choke as this will cause lean conditions too.
    Do a compression check, should be between 120 and 145 lbs with no more than 10% varance between cylinders.

Most people add the Groco 750 water strainer to protect the cooling system from debris.
    At WOT that model should go 62-64 mph (1999) are a tad faster than later years. After a ride, shut down and feel the temp of each cylinder, they should be warm to the touch, but not too hot to hold your hand on them. If one is hotter than the others, check for a blockage in the head cooling fitting.

I use Pennzoil Full Synthetic tcw3 and it is a great oil and you can pick it up at Walmart or whatever in the gallon jugs. The guys over at ultra150.com recommended it to me and I noticed a difference over Kawasaki oil. I started using it at 30 hours and now I have 240+ hours with no problems, no rebuilds.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skoolball23 View Post
    I have 240+ hours with no problems, no rebuilds.
    Get ready, you're living on borrowed time! Not because of the oil, but because the piston rings are probably getting worn to the point that they'll rotate and catch in a port and ruin your day.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information