1999 GTX Pump Problem

I need some help, got a 1999 GTX LTD last summer. The pump was wasted when I got the ski, the bearings where bad. At the time I did not know what all the noise at idle was till the pump fully puked and ate the wear ring.

When I took the pump apart the oil was jet black, no sign of milky look or water in the oil. The needle bearings where loose and let the impeller contact and suck in the wear ring. I replaced both needle bearings the impeller seal, thrust washer, Torrington bearing, and cover O-ring, and wear ring.

All was well till about 2 weeks ago, the freaking pump is growling and grinding again at idle. The rebuild has less than 30 hrs and the bearing are wasted again. Again no sign of water in the bearing housing. The oil is jet black and stinky as usual. WTF could be causing the pump to eat up $100+ rebuild kits like they are free. All the parts were from a Sea-Doo dealer genuine BRP parts.

After the last rebuild the ski ran awesome, no shaking/vibration or noise of any kind from the pump. All the motor mounts are tight and no shaking of the engine.

??????????????????????????????????

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    could be that the pump is stashed and the location where the bearing sits has significant play causing it to fail again

+1
    It maybe needs a new impeller shaft.

Bad Shaft if it toasted bearings I can bet you that shaft is bad and the impeller could be out of balance.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninetok View Post
    Bad Shaft if it toasted bearings I can bet you that shaft is bad and the impeller could be out of balance.
    could be that too....to check pull the shaft and roll it across a table. that will tell you if its bent.

The Bearings for the Pump are very delicate. The outer surface is a sheet metal sleeve that is pressed into the pump casting. If there are groves from the tools you used to remove the old ones in that surface it will distort the bearing and make it wear quick. Did you use a press with the right tool to remove and press in the new ones? Also if the Thrust washer and bearing isnt assembled right the pump will bind and eat up the innards. Or your pump housing could be damaged from the first set that failed....

Question. I bought a 1999 Seadoo GTX Limited last yr , very good condition ,runs great. Do i need to change the jet pump oil every yr. I read you are only changing about 10% when removign the jet pump. I heard you can run into some problems so I don`t want to chance it since it is running so good, and if I do need to change it can someone send me a link or directions on what has to be taken apart and replaced to change the oil.
    Thanks
    Gregg

+1
    heres what you do...take the steering arm and trim arm off the nozzle. next, take the 4 bolts off the venturi which is the cone shaped thing behind the nozzle. dont seperate the nozzle from the venturi. you will then see the pump with the nose cone sticking out the back of it. take the three bolts off. there is a small o ring on the inside make sure not to lose it or tear it....might as well just replace it. the oil will then drain out. there isnt much in there. next reinstall the cone with new oring. there is a small allen set screw off center from the top of the cone. take the screw out and fill with gear oil. its 80W90 i believe. then reinstall everything else you took off. I change out the gear oil in mine every other year. good luck and welcome to GH

Thread Information