Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

5 good reason WHY a aftermarket ECU is better the reflash. No Mods to delete or close

Here it is.

People post your opinion's , this is an open thread!

my 5 are as follows...

* Logging
    * Timing Control
    * Anti Lag
    * Launch control
    * Re Tuning , Mapping

+1
    I've been on holiday (Banned, due to speaking the truth) , and since I was gone there has been topics. Now I'm back (For Now) and let it roll....

+1
    I would never consider an ECU due to it costing thousands of dollars. I would rather have control of my retirement account (aka my future) than my jet ski engine. I wonder how many spend more on jet ski mods than they put into thier 401k or IRA this year.

In the grand scheme of life, spending that much on something that does so little just seems silly to me. But then again I am not a Green Hulk baller.

I have batted around the idea of starting a thread about fiscal responsibility but it would just be ignored on what really is nothing more than an expensive toy forum. I would like to see how many midded skis on GH are sponsored by the Banks. I bet it shock some of us.

Moderated
    Corey - ECU are pre programmed cheaper to buy Engine Control Units - they come stock with all skis.... EMS or Engine Management Systems sometimes known as Stand Alone ECU's are the bigger brother and much more expensive options such as Motec, Vipec, Haltech, Ingi Power etc...but are programmable.

Just wanted to set you and anyone else confused about that area straight on what was what. Personally I dont care what people run and your right on costs, it aint cheap and nor is our hobby....

ps: if this thread turns into a pissing contest , it will be closed.

+1
    No doubt that a standalone ECU is way better then a canned tune. Now if you are the average Joe that just wants a little more out of your ski and just wants something that drops in and no need to break your head to learn how to tune it and such, then a Reflash is definitely the right thing for you.

One thing that is a Mayor plus with a standalone is resale value and re-usability. If you ever where to sell your ski you can just pop in your stock ECU in and keep your standalone for your next ski or if you are getting rid of it completely you can sell the standalone for a pretty penny and recoup almost all of your money invested.

Same thing goes with Supercharger VS Turbo...in the Long run the Turbo will be a better option overall but some people just want a simple drop in wheel and nothing more. In the long run they will run into enough Clutch problems and get sick of the supercharger and eventually go turbo but until that happens they will stay with their superchargers.

+1
    i have a motec too. you can make changes at the site and when u upgrade boats you can go from platform to platform , ie yamaha fzr to next gen future yamaha..
    no damn thing didn't take gotta send it back too tim buk too.. just load another map.

it is an investment in piece of mind ....

+1
    some peeps have midlife crisis sports cars mine is my waverunner... lol

you cant take it with you, and you wont want to go this fast at 65....

Quote Originally Posted by gpr717 View Post
    some peeps have midlife crisis sports cars mine is my waverunner... lol

you cant take it with you, and you wont want to go this fast at 65....
    I hear you, but you will have other things that need to be paid for when you are 65 .

They both have their good and bad points and all comes down to where u wanna be .... im happy with my cheap reprogrammed ecu that i go plenty quick enough with and still have money for other things.....

Quote Originally Posted by Corey R. View Post
    I would never consider an ECU due to it costing thousands of dollars. I would rather have control of my retirement account (aka my future) than my jet ski engine. I wonder how many spend more on jet ski mods than they put into thier 401k or IRA this year.

In the grand scheme of life, spending that much on something that does so little just seems silly to me. But then again I am not a Green Hulk baller.

I have batted around the idea of starting a thread about fiscal responsibility but it would just be ignored on what really is nothing more than an expensive toy forum. I would like to see how many midded skis on GH are sponsored by the Banks. I bet it shock some of us.

I'm with you on some of what you say. But... what good is having an IRA if you end up dead? I know plenty of people/friends who have passed away young.. way too young. IRA means nothing if you're 6ft under.

My ski was paid for cash and I know I'm not the only one. I'm sure there are plenty of guys on here with good jobs that can pay for their toys cash. If you have the money to spend... I say spend it.

Putting money away in investments is a good idea, no doubt, but putting ALL your money away in investments and not enjoying life while you can is just stupid. The thing about money is... you can always make more, if you're heath goes south there isn't much you can do about it.

If putting a 3k ECU on your ski makes you happy and you can afford it go for it. I personally don't care about modding my ski. I'm happy with it being stock and I'm not racing with it. If I also didn't have a million other hobbies I would consider it. I'm sure there are guys on this site that only have waverunners as their hobby/passion.

I'd put 3k into this before my ski if I was planning on modding any of my summer toys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information