Carb and fuel pump rebuild

I am just finishing up with rebuilding my carbs, fuel pump, and replacing the lines. At this point I have no fuel in the lines. If I take the spark plugs out and crank it over will that pull fuel into the lines?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If you prime the engine with a dribble of pre-mix (gasoline + 2-stroke oil) down each carb throat it will start right away and rapidly pump fuel from the tank into the carbs. Might need to prime and start it twice before the fuel gets fully into the carbs from the tank, then it should run and start normally.

Don't be leaning over the open carbs when starting a primed engine (or any engine) just in case of a backfire.

i know thats how we all do it but please be careful i'm a firefighter and i actually had a guy burned alive when he used too much gas the gas flashed back and he inhaled some of the super heated vapors as he tried to put the fire out which he was unsuccessful

so please be careful using this method i don't even do it anymore ill find a different way to prime the lines

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kegonsa View Post
    I am just finishing up with rebuilding my carbs, fuel pump, and replacing the lines. At this point I have no fuel in the lines. If I take the spark plugs out and crank it over will that pull fuel into the lines?
    That's what I have done and it works just fine. Now, this was not done on a 'dry' engine. Each time I've done this the engines had been previously fogged so there was a lot of lubrication on the bearings as the starter spun the motor.

I know this sounds obvious, buy just be sure the lanyard is not engaged so that no spark is sent through the plug boots.

KJ

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrosportman View Post
    ... so please be careful using this method ...
    Agreed.

Cranking will also get the fuel through the lines, just takes a while. Don't burn out the starter motor by cranking too long in one go. Let it cool every 30 seconds of cranking. And don't run the battery down too far either.

If you put the Flame Arrestor back on and bolt it down snug, then first priming with some fuel down the carb throats is somewhat less dangerous.

Always evaluate the risk before doing something you are not familiar or comfortable with. Sometimes I omit all the caveats that go along with working on these things. Getting lazy, I suppose....

i have something like this i use
    http://www.amazon.com/Green-Billet-A.../dp/B002D3WXMU

little gas in it homemade starter fluid i guess since its a 2 stroke you could use some gas oil mix

Thanks for the help. I fogged the engine in the fall so it shouldn't be dry. Think I might try and crank it over with no spark for 20 sec and then prime it.

I have not experienced first hand but have read enough on here about FA, when I still thought they were air filters, to know it is a good way to start a fire.

Thread Information