Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1

Anyone have a gas rack for their ski?

I'm going to Bimini in June and thinking about making one. Any of you guys that went to Bimini, did you make your own rack or did you purchase one? Thanks.

Hai there , search the forum for " diy pwc rack ".

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowStang305 View Post
    I'm going to Bimini in June and thinking about making one. Any of you guys that went to Bimini, did you make your own rack or did you purchase one? Thanks.
    You won't need one. I carried two gas cans last year, but I won't bring them next time. But if you really want to take them, a gas rack still isn't necessary. Get two 2.5 gallon cans and run two load straps through their handles. One strap through the handles and connected on to your tow eyelet and the second strap through the handles and connected to each stern eye on the back of the ski. Pull both straps right at the same time and those cans won't budge anywhere.

+1
    Thanks, I was actually thinking about doing just that. I figure I use ratchet straps and strap them down good or use a single 6 gallon jug. I'm not sure how thirsty an SHO will be on the ride there and if conditions turn bad on the way home I may be eating alot more fuel then at cruise speed.

TheEngineer,

if you have any advice for the trip I would appreciate it. I purchased the yellow flags for port entry, read that I will need to declare weapons etc. Which areas of bimini do you recommend we visit. Thanks.

When you heading over??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowStang305 View Post
    Thanks, I was actually thinking about doing just that. I figure I use ratchet straps and strap them down good or use a single 6 gallon jug. I'm not sure how thirsty an SHO will be on the ride there and if conditions turn bad on the way home I may be eating alot more fuel then at cruise speed.

TheEngineer,

if you have any advice for the trip I would appreciate it. I purchased the yellow flags for port entry, read that I will need to declare weapons etc. Which areas of bimini do you recommend we visit. Thanks.
    The RXP-X in our group probably arrived with the least amount of fuel, but I think he still had plenty of extra. Yeah yellow flags are technically the law, but there's no one watching. Customs is on North Bimini located in the white-roofed building that sits just in front of the shipping platform seen here: http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&sourc...00309&t=h&z=19

As far as areas to explore, the Sapona and Bimini Road are probably the two biggest attractions. Put the coordinates for Bimini Road in your GPS in order to find it more easily. Sapona is visible as soon as you get near South Bimini. You can also check out the mangrove trails on the east side of North Bimini. Be careful up there though. You might even come across the hull of a Yamaha FX HO up that way.

Main advice I will give is this...If you have more than 3 craft going on your trip, split up when you arrive and take turns checking into customs and refueling. Refueling over there can be a very long process, so it's best to have a couple guys checking in at customs while the other two refuel, and then rotate. I think it took us nearly 1.5 hrs to refuel two skis and two jet boats...Of course, we did have to wait on a local Biminite to fill his rickety old 2-stroke boat before we could get started. He was definitely on "Island Time".

+1
    Oh yeah, one more important detail...Bring something to cover the top of your head from the sun!

Good luck on your run! Post some pics.

Engineer....did you fill out the customs forms prior to your arrival or did you just do it there?? If you did it prior, how do I get a copy of the form??

You fill out the forms when you get there. We took 2 waverunners over and I carried 2 five gallon tanks and the other waverunner had a cooler with the food and drinks. As for your sho, you will make it over. We're planning to go over July 8-10, Independence Day for the Bahamas. Be safe and have fun!!!!!

+1
    Thanks guys, were aiming for the second week in June pending weather conditions. I have a chase boat and 3 skis coming with me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information