Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy GTX 4 TEC, Long beep and blown fuse. Need advise.

Just had a major problem with my 2003 GTX 4 TEC last weekend. Had starting problem after launch (had to hit the starter a few time). A few seconds after leaving the dock, the engine shut down and the ski flatline. I try to reinsert the DESS and get a long beep. After towing to shore, I discovered the ground post was loose. Tighten it up without any result. After coming home, I discovered that the bottom 5 amp fuse closest to the fuel tank was blown. Here were the things that I have tried without any results:

- Checked, clean and tighten all grounding points. And starter relay points.
    - Checked all existing fuse and made sure they are not blown.
    - Remove the MPEM and tried it on my wife ski. It work fine and started her ski.
    - Replaced the 5 amp fuse and retest again and again with the fuse blowing every time. With a good fuse, the beep is immediate when I insert my DESS. With a blown fuse, it takes a few seconds before the long beep occurred.
    - Disconnect the TOPS and fuel pump with no result. New fuse blown right away.
    - Although the battery was fine, I topped it off with my battery tender (just making sure).
    - Disconnected the A portion of the ECM and blown fuse and beep still occurred. Disconnect the B portion and no power anywhere.

At this point I think it's the ECM but not sure how to test it. I do not want to damage my wife's unit by trying it on my ski. Any help from the community would be much appreciated. My last resort is taking it to a dealer.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can offer.

+1
    What system does the fuse control?? is it the EMS? If you keep blowing the fuse you have a deed short somewhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2005 Sea-Doo Engine Service Manual_0001.jpg 
Views:	1088 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	239174   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2005 Sea-Doo Engine Service Manual.jpg 
Views:	2041 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	239175  

Yes, it's the EMS start/stop fuse. I do think I have a short somewhere, just not sure if it's in the ECM or elsewhere. Thanks for the schematics.

Just need some clues on what to test next...... Any recommendation?

I've dealt with this problem before on other 03 GTX SC. It turned out to be the ECM. Check your steering harness, main harness and you amp connectors going to the MPEM for any corrosion or shorts. Every 03 GTX SC ski I've had this problem on it turned out to be the ECM had a short in it.

Is it the actual ECM or the harness I should be looking into? If it's the ECM, can I check it with a multi-meter? OHMs or continuity test?

Just came back from the dealer after an attempt to hook it up to the B.U.D.S. No go. Because the ECM is not getting power, nothing can be done..

They said that there is no way to check if the ECM is in good condition. Is this true. Can a bad ECM cause the short in the EMS? Or do I need to pull the whole wiring harness for inspection and look for the short that cause the fuse to trip?

My wife has the exact same ski, is it smart to swap out the ECM and do that test? Will I need to swap out the gauges also?

Please give me some more diagnostic help.

+1
    Yes you can swap the ECM from the other ski without doing anything else. If it fires right up then you'll know you need a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Linhster View Post
    Just came back from the dealer after an attempt to hook it up to the B.U.D.S. No go. Because the ECM is not getting power, nothing can be done..

They said that there is no way to check if the ECM is in good condition. Is this true. Can a bad ECM cause the short in the EMS? Or do I need to pull the whole wiring harness for inspection and look for the short that cause the fuse to trip?

My wife has the exact same ski, is it smart to swap out the ECM and do that test? Will I need to swap out the gauges also?

Please give me some more diagnostic help.

With the 5 amp fuse blowing you will not be able to comunicate with the ski. The five amp fuse circuit supplies power. You can swap out the ECM without any issues. You do not have to swap gauge cluster. A short in the ECM can cause the 5 amp fuse to pop in the MPEM.

Glad to get a little reassurance from experienced riders. I will give it a try.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information