Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    causeimez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    39
    +1
    5

    Coroded Exhaust Manifold Flange

    First allow me to take a second to tell you a little about my ski. In 2007 a bought a 2004 RXP with about 30 hours on it. It was purchased purely for recreational use (weekends at the lake with friends and family and an occasional trip to the beach). For 3 years and about 70 hours of riding this ski was rode hard and put away wet (LITERALLY!!!). It’s been beached multiple times, ingested everything from rocks to ski ropes to massive amounts of sea weed. It’s jumped 6 foot waves at full throttle and it’s been flipped upside-down several times…all while slowly losing a little performance each year. Well, needless to say I finally started to pay the price last summer.

    Second, I want to thank all of you. Since discovering this site about 2 months ago I have rebuilt my supercharger, added a Kana 4" intake, DIY catch can, solas 14/19 impeller, new wear ring, filed down the (broken) inlet guide vanes, installed an R&D intake grate, removed and flushed the inner cooler, deleted the exhaust resonator, changed the oil, buffed out the paint and installed a Jettrim seat cover...all from the mountains of information I obtained here and all done simply by using the search function and not posting the same newbie questions that have been posted a million times! I took it out this past weekend and THE SKI LOOKS, SOUNDS AND RUNS GREAT!!! 69 mph at 7950 rpm! The hole shot is amazing…instant hook-up with zero cavitation!!! Very happy! Thank you!

    And now to the point of this post. When I removed the “J”-pipe from the exhaust manifold I noticed a significant portion of the manifold flange was corroded and missing. This flange fits into the “J”-pipe and separates the exhaust passage from the water jacket passage. I also noticed that a small amount of water was passing from the cooling jacket into the exhaust path via this flange. Does anyone see this as causing a performance problem or a maintenance problem? I want to replace the exhaust manifold but I dont want to fork over $500 for a new one if its not a big issue. Also, does anyone have a used exhaust manifold for sale that will work in my ski?


  2. #2
    TundraLu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wesley Chapel, FL. Y L Isla Del Encato PR.
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by causeimez View Post
    First allow me to take a second to tell you a little about my ski. In 2007 a bought a 2004 RXP with about 30 hours on it. It was purchased purely for recreational use (weekends at the lake with friends and family and an occasional trip to the beach). For 3 years and about 70 hours of riding this ski was rode hard and put away wet (LITERALLY!!!). It’s been beached multiple times, ingested everything from rocks to ski ropes to massive amounts of sea weed. It’s jumped 6 foot waves at full throttle and it’s been flipped upside-down several times…all while slowly losing a little performance each year. Well, needless to say I finally started to pay the price last summer.

    Second, I want to thank all of you. Since discovering this site about 2 months ago I have rebuilt my supercharger, added a Kana 4" intake, DIY catch can, solas 14/19 impeller, new wear ring, filed down the (broken) inlet guide vanes, installed an R&D intake grate, removed and flushed the inner cooler, deleted the exhaust resonator, changed the oil, buffed out the paint and installed a Jettrim seat cover...all from the mountains of information I obtained here and all done simply by using the search function and not posting the same newbie questions that have been posted a million times! I took it out this past weekend and THE SKI LOOKS, SOUNDS AND RUNS GREAT!!! 69 mph at 7950 rpm! The hole shot is amazing…instant hook-up with zero cavitation!!! Very happy! Thank you!

    And now to the point of this post. When I removed the “J”-pipe from the exhaust manifold I noticed a significant portion of the manifold flange was corroded and missing. This flange fits into the “J”-pipe and separates the exhaust passage from the water jacket passage. I also noticed that a small amount of water was passing from the cooling jacket into the exhaust path via this flange. Does anyone see this as causing a performance problem or a maintenance problem? I want to replace the exhaust manifold but I dont want to fork over $500 for a new one if its not a big issue. Also, does anyone have a used exhaust manifold for sale that will work in my ski?
    I have a manifold if you need. It is not that bad of a job to replace.

  3. #3
    Vern's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Grand Haven, MI
    Posts
    3,594
    +1
    128
    Eventually many of our manifolds lose the 'bell' on the end ... usually it does not cause trouble, but look for carbon on the side of the hull near the clamp ... that would indicate an exhaust leak, and that will cause trouble. IF you are sure that you have a water leak from the exhaust manifold, replace it ASAP. THAT will cause trouble ... rusty valves, etc.

  4. #4
    GTLaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Eventually many of our manifolds lose the 'bell' on the end ... usually it does not cause trouble, but look for carbon on the side of the hull near the clamp ... that would indicate an exhaust leak, and that will cause trouble. IF you are sure that you have a water leak from the exhaust manifold, replace it ASAP. THAT will cause trouble ... rusty valves, etc.
    Isn't there a stainless tip mod someone does on here for that?

  5. #5
    CC Racer kenshin89's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    2,904
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by GTLaser View Post
    Isn't there a stainless tip mod someone does on here for that?
    mitch411rxp was doing it back in 2008, but I don't think he is doing it anymore.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...In-Classifieds

  6. #6
    causeimez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    39
    +1
    5
    Got a "new" used manifold from Scott. Great shape, great service. Gonna replace it after this weekend...3 days of camping and ski'n on Lake Gaston!!! Wooohoo! Come on down and have a beer with us Scott, ya ain't to far away!

  7. #7
    CC Racer kenshin89's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    2,904
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by causeimez View Post
    Got a "new" used manifold from Scott. Great shape, great service. Gonna replace it after this weekend...3 days of camping and ski'n on Lake Gaston!!! Wooohoo! Come on down and have a beer with us Scott, ya ain't to far away!
    Glad to help man. Wish I could, but both skies are down.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. J pipe exhaust leak at manifold flange
    By lee in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-06-2008, 04:59 PM
  2. exhaust manifold
    By JCM in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2006, 05:26 PM
  3. Exhaust manifold
    By nickdog in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-17-2006, 10:39 PM
  4. What happ w/ Billet Exhaust Manifold?
    By Shibby1485 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-12-2005, 07:35 PM
  5. Exhaust manifold / header
    By Vern in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-08-2005, 08:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •