1995 SL 650 carb removal

Hey everyone, I just picked up a 96 SL650 for 80 bucks! It doesn't run, but I was going to go ahead and go through everything and make sure it's good, if not fix it, and get it running. I am running into some problems though, I cannot for the life of me find where to take the carborators off. I am trying to restore it, because I mean for 80 dollars, you can't really go wrong. If worse comes to worse, I can part it out. But I'd like to get it running and enjoy it. Any help would be great!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    near Toronto, Canada

Click below for useful info.

The carb nuts are hard to get at. Use a really stubby 12mm wrench.

Banned User
    Milwaukee WI
    The nuts are under the intake manifold. There are studs that go down through the intake manifold from the carbs. Look at the base of the carbs to get an idea of where the nuts are. I use just a regular 12mm Craftsman combination wrench. Just be sure its on the nut all the way, you dont want to strip one of the nuts. They are a real bear to get off if you do that. I know this from experience. Unless the carbs have been removed before, you will most likely have to spin the nut all the way off with the wrench, due to the Loctite used on the threads. I have a 94 SL 650 and I love mine, its a great little boat. There are plenty of people here with lots of experience working on these, do check back often and ask us anything.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    Cleveland OH
    Welcome to the Hulk nc.

Awesome! Thanks for the replies everyone! I am going to mess with it some more tomorrow, today is good enough for a nice motorcycle ride I'll post up some pictures tonight or tomorrow!

Thread Information