Strange Issue 900zxi

My ZXi cranks and idles fine...even revs correctly when taking off from a great idle with no bogging... I depress the throttle and engine revs perfectly to 7500rpm and jet ski takes off...UNTIL about 30 mph...then rpms drop back to 6000 and thats it. If I continue to hold throttle for 30-45 secs engine will rev back to 7500 and ski takes off up to 50-55 for 8-10 secs and then power dies back off and drops to 6000 again....pattern continues for as long as I hold throttle. i can sometimes pump throttle and engine stays revved....

I can let off throttle...back to a idle ....gun it again and shes off like mad dog until it hits 30-35 mph and processs starts over....

any ideas??

+1
    Sounds like a fuel issue. Switch to reserve and see what happens. Replace the fuel filter, inspect the lines for splits, etc. Then it might be time to look at the carbs.

Have you run a compression test?

fuel issue is what im thinking also..

im gonna install new plugs, get a new fuel filter and see what that does. I was told of some filters inside the carbs also that have a tendency to get stopped up. Ski runs excellent...but only runs 35...until it decides it wants to run 55....then back down. fires right up, idles great, accellerates perfect.

something you mentioned...reserve fuel. By switching over and trying it...what does this prove/eliminate?

ski ran perfect last year before being put into storage and will run perfect now because at times it reaches top speed....just wont hold there.

+1
    There may be plugging, etc. with the main fuel pickup. Just something to try that doesn't cost any money.

+1
    i had a 99 ZXi900 here in the shop a few years back, doing the same exact thing. ( good friend of mine's machine)

i removed the plug boots, cut the wires back a 1/4 of an inch, new plugs, fuel filter, and cleaned the fuel select. ran perfectly after that.

Quote Originally Posted by john zigler View Post
    i had a 99 ZXi900 here in the shop a few years back, doing the same exact thing. ( good friend of mine's machine)

i removed the plug boots, cut the wires back a 1/4 of an inch, new plugs, fuel filter, and cleaned the fuel select. ran perfectly after that.
    Cutting back the plug wires, thats brilliant.

+1
    Yea, could be the plug wires. That'll make it run really weird. Unscrew the plug boots and see if you can pull any wire strands out with a pair of needle nose pliers. If so, that's probably the problem.

Thread Information