Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1200R troubles

+1

1200R troubles

Ok hi I'm new to the forum and the proud owner of a 2001 gp1200R
    So to sum it up I have a blown motor mechanic said the motor
    Overheated and melted all pistons and it's a total loss. So my question is what now???
    I'm just now starting out with the jet ski thing so what are my options??
    I was thinking of goin ahead and finding a 1300R motor will it fit into the hull as far as
    Hookin it up electrically?? So any input would be greatly appreciated.
    I just want a ski to ride I'm not to big on top speed this ski topped out at 72 gps
    And thats plenty but the macho in me would like to use the 1300R motor I don't have tons of cash but would like the best bang for the buck in this situation thanks again

Nate

Is it almost winter yet??? ProXR 440's Avatar
    +1
    You need to answer a few questions to get the right advice.

Are you capable of rebuilding the motor yourself?
    How much $$ are you willing to spend?

You need to explain the "overheated" diagnosis, you need to find the problem and fix it or you'll burn down the motor again as soon as you get it rebuilt. "total loss"? Is it just 3 bad pistons or are the crank and cylinders ok?

The cheapest/best way to put a 1300 in your ski is to buy a used 1300 top end and bolt it onto your lower end, all you will need to change is the jetting in the carbs. There's many threads on different exhaust options also for the 1300 conversion.
    1200 parts seem to go for less $ and there's been a few ported 1200 top ends in the classifieds lately.

+1
    Ok here's some more into I'm a hotrod guy and have build
    A couple of turbo 5.0's stangs so yes I can put in the wrench time but I know nothing
    Of two strokes. The mechanic said the motors a complete loss crank isnt anygood
    And he said it must have been a cooling system failure and the motor
    Overheated. All three pistons trashed an last of all my budget isn't huge but I could probably drop 2500 or so?? Maybe 3k? I just want a reliable ski. With some extra power thanks

Nate

+1
    Info* built*

+1
    If you're not afraid to turn a wrench and learn get that ski in your garage and start tearing it apart and post pics of everything here. 2 strokes are very simple to work on. There really isn't a cooling system like a car. On the side of your jet pump housing you'll see a rectangle block molded into the side with a hose coming off it. That's where the water enters your cooling system, I've heard it's possible for the strainer in that block to become plugged up preventing water from entering the cooling system but I've never seen it happen. I'd start there and then work your way towards the motor looking for blockages or leaks in the hosing.

1200 and 1300 cranks are the same, the cases are the same except the 1300 cases don't have the fittings for the pulse lines for the carbs since the 1300's were all fuel injected. You can put your carbs on a 1300 lower end but you'll have to add the fittings, you can also put a 1300 top end on a 1200 lower without any mods. To convert your ski to fuel injection is way too much work and $. You can get your cylinders replated for $100-150/ea depending on damage, you can get them replated for the stock 1200 bore dia. or bore them out to a 1300 or bigger and then have them plated. The whole motor needs to come out of the ski to split the cases to put a new crank in. You need to start pricing parts to see what route you want to go. Prox pistons are good quality and reasonably priced compared to oem, they can be found on wiseco's website.

+1
    Welcome fellow Texas! Do the work yourself with a book and help from this forum. Get your parts from www.wfoperformance.com thats where I got most of mine. You get your stuff quick since he is in down state. I had just about the same issue as you did, but the oil line to the carbs came off. I got a crankworks crank, three carb kits, new top end and a complete gasket kit and was good to go. You must pressure test the motor, you must follow the carb rebuild to the "T". I recomend doing the oil pump block off since my fuel gummed up over the winter in DFW. I think I stand a better chance with the premix holding up. I have some pistons if you need some.

+1
    Sweet thanks I'll get on it this weekend and post some carnage
    Pics... Thanks guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by ProXR 440 View Post
    If you're not afraid to turn a wrench and learn get that ski in your garage and start tearing it apart and post pics of everything here. 2 strokes are very simple to work on. There really isn't a cooling system like a car. On the side of your jet pump housing you'll see a rectangle block molded into the side with a hose coming off it. That's where the water enters your cooling system, I've heard it's possible for the strainer in that block to become plugged up preventing water from entering the cooling system but I've never seen it happen. I'd start there and then work your way towards the motor looking for blockages or leaks in the hosing.

1200 and 1300 cranks are the same, the cases are the same except the 1300 cases don't have the fittings for the pulse lines for the carbs since the 1300's were all fuel injected. You can put your carbs on a 1300 lower end but you'll have to add the fittings, you can also put a 1300 top end on a 1200 lower without any mods. To convert your ski to fuel injection is way too much work and $. You can get your cylinders replated for $100-150/ea depending on damage, you can get them replated for the stock 1200 bore dia. or bore them out to a 1300 or bigger and then have them plated. The whole motor needs to come out of the ski to split the cases to put a new crank in. You need to start pricing parts to see what route you want to go. Prox pistons are good quality and reasonably priced compared to oem, they can be found on wiseco's website.
    If one were to put 1300 jugs on thier 1200 bottom-end (I'm not going there) what else would you have to do? New 1300 pistons/rings on existing 1200 crank/connecting rods? Jetting and that's it... ?

+1
    Yes the 1300 cylinders and pistons fit right onto the 1200 lower end. Just rejet and open up the D plate a little and you're good to go. You'll also need to buy a 1300 head and powervalves if the cylinders you buy don't come with them.

This is a great thread on boring out your 1200 cylinders to 1300-

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...0+exhaust+1300

You can use the 1200 or 1300 exhaust, the 1300 exhaust is slightly better. This is a good thread about the difference between using the 1200 waterbox or 1300 waterbox-

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...0+exhaust+1300

Thanks VXR!! BTW, what if you didn't want to go with PV's , do you then disconnect certain controls/wiring/mechanical devices from your 1200PV motor? Or maybe you have to install a whole new cdi or something...make sense? (Maybe it's not worth it and just bore your 1200 nikasil's- IF you can even bore them?) I'll read that link, thanks... .

I may do this eventually to my XLT.

2002 stxr-modded
    2003 1200 pv xlt-modded
    2006 1300 gpr riva stage 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information