Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

15-f or ultra lx n/a

I am looking at a 2011 stx 15-f and a new 2010 ultra lx n/a. The only reason I was interested in the ultra is big boat comfort for the family , extra fuel capacity and it is i.m.o a good looking machine. I realize the ultra is about 7 mph slower and the extra fuel capacity may be offset by the weight and hull design . I am pretty much sold on the 15-f but would like some opinions on the lx. A friend told me he road the lx and it felt like it could tip over at low speeds , made sweeping turns like a boat ,was slow and seemed to cavitate when cornering. I have read these things in magazines as well. Any input from owners of the two would be appreciated.

+1
    Sounds like you are sold already so what are you trying to find out. Aything specific? You are not comparing apples to apples. You said comfortable family ski. Enough said. If you want to go jump wakes and go fast, get the 15. If you want a nice ski get the ultra. As fas as the Ultra wanting to tip overI have no idea what the heck he is talking about.

+1
    exactly what i thought when i read the post earlier

Quote Originally Posted by dewberryone View Post
    A friend told me he road the lx and it felt like it could tip over at low speeds , made sweeping turns like a boat ,was slow and seemed to cavitate when cornering.
    "Slow" is a relative term. Yes, LX slower than a smaller 15F with same engine. But faster than Kayak.

Tip over & cavitate? Mine doesn't do that.

If you would be riding mostly in ocean, get a LX.
    If you would be riding mostly 2+, get a LX.
    If you like modern Ultra look, get a LX.
    If not, get a 15F.

yea, I realize a.5 ton ski is not going to just tip over. So it is stable at low speeds with passengers? good fuel economy? Carves through turns good? No cavitation? I am not that concerned with speed anything over 50 mph is fine with me.I really like the way the lx looks. I know some of my questions were somewhat rhetorical thats why I ask for owner input for second,third, fourth etc... party perspective .

Thanks, The pics alone are enough to make me 50/50. The one i am looking at is blue ,white n black.

What proportion do you see yourself using the ski for family vs personal use? I agree with the others: NA Ultra LX for family, 15F for fun.

PS: You say anything over 50mph is fine now but that might change after a while. At first 65mph seemed so fast to me. Now, after three seasons, it feels slow and I'm itching for a 70-75mph ski. If you get hooked on speed, it never ends...

If you would be riding in "rough" ocean, it's not the ski that's the limiting factor for the top speed. YOU are the limiting factor in most cases. Even if you have 70-75 mph ski, you can't go that fast in rough water anyway. Even the World Final Champion Craig Warner's average speed for the last ocean race was below 50 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    If you would be riding in "rough" ocean, it's not the ski that's the limiting factor for the top speed. YOU are the limiting factor in most cases. Even if you have 70-75 mph ski, you can't go that fast in rough water anyway. Even the World Final Champion Craig Warner's average speed for the last ocean race was below 50 mph.
    I agree. I ride in rivers and as well as one of the largest bays on the planet. I know for a fact that my 250X is capable of going faster than I am when the bay gets really rough. Still, I would like to have a ski that could go faster when I'm riding on flatter water in the rivers. That's why I'm looking to the 300X or RXT-X 260 because I think they could offer the best of both worlds.

PS: I'm sorry if I'm taking this thread off-topic...

The lx sold all he has left now is the one 15-f and a couple of ultra 300x. 13500.00 for the ultras 8500.00 for the 15-f. I guess if you are going to be paying for something 2-5 years better make sure its what you want.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information