Finishing off my gelcoat repair - what to use to restore shine?

My Speedster 150 215SC went underneath a dock last fall and chipped up the front. I bought the genuine expensive Seadoo replacement stuff from Canada so the color would be a perfect match, but it doesn't match 100%. I can live with the discoloration but for the $$ I spent for the authentic product I'm disappointed it doesn't match better.

Anyhow, first here are a couple before pictures:

I've gelcoated the areas and am about done on the fine sanding. From 5 feet and in my garage, the repair looks pretty good. But once out in the sun and on the water the repair will be quite evident mainly due to the rough flat/dull surface of the repair and the gelcoat immediately surrounding the repair. Here is where I am at now:

Those 2 pics above look decent, but this next picture starts to show the lack of shine... see how my shop light reflects to the left of the repair but not in the repair or margins at all. The area is lightly wet sanded but dull. This will look bad in the sun/water. I need help with a product recommendation and technique to make this area blend and shine. This last picture highlights the lack of shine:

Thanks in advance!

+1
    You could try KIT "scratch out".
    I always have great success with it.

Thanks for the tip sn-95. Looks like they make that Kit Scratch Out in a paste and in a liquid.. think I'd need the paste. I'll see if I can get a +1 on this product or another recommendation before I pull the trigger.

Never used scratch out but have been working with composites for 20 years and i would just wet sand it with 1000 grit and buff it out.. ive done it on all different gelcoats. Do it just like you would block sand a car..

Quote Originally Posted by project View Post
    Never used scratch out but have been working with composites for 20 years and i would just wet sand it with 1000 grit and buff it out.. ive done it on all different gelcoats. Do it just like you would block sand a car..
    I've never done any body/repair work so forgive my ignorance.. when you say "buff it out" what exactly are you using?

I need a buffer. Hopefully something inexpensive like this will do the trick.

That buffer will work just fine. Dont hold it in one spot though or you will burn the gelcoat.. just go slow an move it around using finer and finer buffing compound. Any local auto paint supplier will have the compound you need. I just bought a 1200 LTD for my daughter and the gelgoat was dull and oxidized pretty bad. After buffing it out its all glossy and ready for the summer.

+1
    If you don't know what you're doing with a buffing wheel, I wouldn't mess with it. You can destroy a paint job quickly if you don't do it properly. Just my opinion.
    If you wetsand the area with 1500 you should be able to polish it by hand with the KIT liquid."minimal risk"
    You can ask some of the guys here how the finish of the paint work I did for them turned out if you like, or you can check the photo album in my profile for examples. "I used KIT to polish out their hoods."

Kit Scratch Out is awesome stuff! I ordered both cream and "heavy duty" paste and rubbed it in several times and I've got the original shine now, which is seamless from the repair area. Really impressed with that stuff... now time to rub out scratches on the rest of the hull and look over my cars/trucks for opportunities to use this stuff. They say that weathered headlights can become clear again too... I've got a car that could benefit from that. Anyhow, thanks again for the recommendation.. great cheap stuff that works.

Thread Information