+1

Stock plate withJim's cut questions

While doing a search, everything I found leads me to understand it will increase your speed, but I have not found much feedback on its handling capabilities.

Judging from photos, the Jim's cut removes a major portion of the stock ride plate. What will this plate do for handling in both smooth water and in the open gulf?

Is this plate an improvement in both worlds or is there a trade off in regards to offshore handling?

Thanks.

Just buy the stock vx plate... gives an instant 2-3 mph
    Get jims mod to this plate and you've got 3-4 mph

If you want more handling for offshore, then shim the rear of the plate for less bow lift...

+1
    For a SHO or FZ? Can't comment on his mod to an FZ plate, but on the SHO it gives you more top speed(2-3mph) in flat water & more stability in the rough. The machining to the bottom of the plate adds angle & also makes the skegs deeper, which makes the ski track better & gives you MUCH better stability offshore. The extra angle sacrifices a little hookup in chop, but the better tracking & stability more than makes up for it. I still prefer my modded R&D for flat water riding, but the modded stocker is a better all-around plate.

+1
    It is for a SHO. Thanks for the information. I was not sure if greter speed sacarficed handling.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey R. View Post
    It is for a SHO. Thanks for the information. I was not sure if greter speed sacarficed handling.
    For setting up the handling, the SHO is kind of a different animal than other skis. Most skis lose handling as you loosen up the hull, but the SHO actually turns better with a looser setup.

Here's my theory to explain why: The SHO hull was designed for stability which makes it stay pretty flat in turns instead of leaning in like a GPR, FZ or RXP. When you put aftermarket sponsons on to help it carve better, it pulls more g's in fast sweeping turns & makes the ski lean to the outside. This causes the outside chine to grab & suddenly makes the ski hook the turn, which can be a dangerous quirk if you're not ready for it. Adding angle to the rideplate moves the pivot point rearward, so the ski turns on the keel instead of the nose & gets rid of the hooking. It also gives it a lighter more nimble feel since less hull is in the water.

Thread Information