Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    thester71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    central ma.
    Posts
    1,698

    Hydroturf seat covers

    So I'm going to attempt to recover my 99 slx and 99 pro 785 seat covers, I just want to get opinions on wether I should remove the oem covers or put the new covers right over.


  2. #2
    She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Posts
    17,327
    +1
    29
    Normally you cover right over the original.

    Still removing the staples though

  3. #3
    thester71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    central ma.
    Posts
    1,698
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Normally you cover right over the original.

    Still removing the staples though
    I would think by removing the staples there would be a risk of the oem cover shifting and bunching up.
    The hydroturf covers have plenty of extra material.

  4. #4
    She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Posts
    17,327
    +1
    29

  5. #5
    ujustlost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Howell Michigan
    Posts
    1,597
    +1
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by thester71 View Post
    So I'm going to attempt to recover my 99 slx and 99 pro 785 seat covers, I just want to get opinions on wether I should remove the oem covers or put the new covers right over.
    I always remove the old one, but thats just me. I tend to go against the grain more than others.

  6. #6
    PolarisNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Lower Michigan
    Posts
    1,809
    Remove most of the staples on the original, to make room for new staples. By leaving a few, it will keep the cover in place. I put a small strip of spray adhesive right down the center of the old cover, to keep the new cover from shifting around on it. Leaving the stock cover keeps the seat foam from getting water logged. The multi piece aftermarket covers leak water right through. This is how I've always done it, and it has worked out very well. Only time I will remove the old cover is if it is ragged, and nasty, or if I'm just installing a single piece of vinyl.

  7. #7
    Moderator beerdart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    25,929
    +1
    1,407
    When I do seats that I have to removed the old cover due to condition I wrap the foam with a old tent rain fly to help prevent the foam from getting waterlogged.

  8. #8
    thester71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    central ma.
    Posts
    1,698
    [QUOTE=ujustlost;1697315]I always remove the old one, but thats just me. I tend to go against the grain more than others.[/

    What's up mike, how's life treating you? Have you found a replacement hull for the pro yet?

  9. #9
    thester71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    central ma.
    Posts
    1,698
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    Remove most of the staples on the original, to make room for new staples. By leaving a few, it will keep the cover in place. I put a small strip of spray adhesive right down the center of the old cover, to keep the new cover from shifting around on it. Leaving the stock cover keeps the seat foam from getting water logged. The multi piece aftermarket covers leak water right through. This is how I've always done it, and it has worked out very well. Only time I will remove the old cover is if it is ragged, and nasty, or if I'm just installing a single piece of vinyl.
    Do I absolutely have to remove the old staples? There is plenty of room on the new cover to staple it on the outside of them.

  10. #10
    thester71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    central ma.
    Posts
    1,698
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    When I do seats that I have to removed the old cover due to condition I wrap the foam with a old tent rain fly to help prevent the foam from getting waterlogged.
    There is only one small chunk of cover missing, I was thinking I would just use a vinyl repair kit I bought for my boat seat and fill the hole before covering.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. WTB jettrim or hydroturf seat cover for GPR...
    By jetdave56 in forum Yamaha 2 Stroke Skis
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2012, 11:18 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-05-2009, 07:58 PM
  3. Hydroturf Seat Cover
    By SantaCruz163 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-16-2008, 03:49 PM
  4. Hydroturf seat cover
    By Kinchyle in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-13-2006, 08:20 PM
  5. HydroTurf Seat Cover
    By CrazyA in forum Videos & Pictures
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-08-2006, 03:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •