Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oil leak after supercharger rebuild

Hello all,

i have a 2004 rxp that i had jerry rebuild the supercharger for and i also purchased a blow off valve kit for it(the kit with the valve and the blue duct/intake tube). I took the ski out for a test run today and when i brought it back after a couple of hours, i noticed oil sprayed on part of the engine compartment. Everything around the blow-off valve seemed to be sprayed. I never had this issue before. I removed the new blow off valve kit and noticed oil in the throttle body and some also on the supercharger side. Is this problem coming from the blow off valve? I also changed the oil on the ski and used the old o rings since they were fine. I put the oil filter cover/cap back on without any issue and don't think the leak is coming from there. What do you guys think. Any advice and suggestions for getting this leak under controll would be great. Thanks for your help in advance.

Moderated
    is it in front of the sc outlet going towards the intake or inter cooler side of things...?

if it is, your OEM oil seal might be leaking into the sc housing which then hits the impeller and gets pushed up towards the throttle bodies/intake manifold...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by izz0 View Post
    is it in front of the sc outlet going towards the intake or inter cooler side of things...?

if it is, your OEM oil seal might be leaking into the sc housing which then hits the impeller and gets pushed up towards the throttle bodies/intake manifold...
    +1, sounds like the front seal on the charger. Pull the hose off the charger that goes towards the IC (the one with the BOV installed), check it for oil residue comming from the charger, check the discharge outlet on the charger aswell. You may need to send it back to Jerry to have him install the Viton seal instead of the OEM seal.

Edit: My bad dude you said 04 (internal IC), pull the hose with the BOV that goes between the TB and SC.

+1
    +1 on the front seal. They usually go bad within 10-20 hrs after rebuild. Always use the viton seal.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    You may need to send it back to Jerry to have him install the Viton seal instead of the OEM seal.
    I agree!

+1
    Everyone's quick to assume the oil leak is always coming from the supercharger seal. Let's not forget the number one cause of oil in the supercharger/air intake tract, over filled oil.

Your engines crankcase ventilation system is plumbed directly to your air intake. Your supercharger actually helps pull crankcase vapors out of the engine. If the oil is over filled then you will get an abundance of oil pushed out of the engine and sucked into the supercharger. When this happens you will see oil present in the supercharger, throttle body and it will come out of your BOV if you have one.

Those of us running an after market air intake system with catch can do not have this problem.

For those that don't know, the proper oil check procedure on a seadoo is with a hot engine and on the water. Let the engine idle 30 seconds. Shut it off and wait 30 seconds. Check oil.
    You are looking for it to be slightly higher than the middle area of the two bends on the stick. If it's at the top bend then the oil is too high and you will push oil into the supercharger.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Everyone's quick to assume the oil leak is always coming from the supercharger seal. Let's not forget the number one cause of oil in the supercharger/air intake tract, over filled oil.

Your engines crankcase ventilation system is plumbed directly to your air intake. Your supercharger actually helps pull crankcase vapors out of the engine. If the oil is over filled then you will get an abundance of oil pushed out of the engine and sucked into the supercharger. When this happens you will see oil present in the supercharger, throttle body and it will come out of your BOV if you have one.

Those of us running an after market air intake system with catch can do not have this problem.

For those that don't know, the proper oil check procedure on a seadoo is with a hot engine and on the water. Let the engine idle 30 seconds. Shut it off and wait 30 seconds. Check oil.
    You are looking for it to be slightly higher than the middle area of the two bends on the stick. If it's at the top bend then the oil is too high and you will push oil into the supercharger.
    +1 every spring when i put my ski back in my catch can is full after the first 2 rides, then empty for most of the summer. I guess im slightly overfilling when I change the oil in the fall

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post

He does still live a little on the Seadoo side, good advice Jerry! Never thought anyone would overfill the engine..

+1
    I just realized why I always find a little oil in my SC hose after my spring maintenance (oil/filter/plugs). Thanks for the beta Jerry. And I know I'm always near the upper bend after a fresh oil change; now I know better.

+1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information