Thread: Minirude

+1

Minirude

Hey guys. Looking at doing the mini rude upgrade to my ski. My setup is in my sig. 08 RXP. Got about 80 hours on it. Thing I am wondering is... is there any thing thats going to start breaking or maybe need upgraded with the mini rude? Like engine wise. Will head gaskets be a problem? If so I dont wanna do it probably. I would rather not open the motor.

Is there any other issues that would arrive due to the boost increase? And if head gaskets would be a issue can new studs be installed just by taking the valve cover off, or maybe torqued tighter or does the motor have to come apart.

Basically I dont wanna mess with the motor is were I am coming from. And hopefully I would be able to have my prop pitched for the boost instead of needing a bigger one.

And what kind of speed increase would this produce? maybe 2mph?

Banned User
    +1
    Nick, the mini upgrade will give you about a 1.5-2.0psi increase over your X now, probably bring you into the upper 12's to lower 13's range, or just slightly less than a 2Rude...same fueling requirements follow.

I would suggest looking into the stud kit, because of the added boost. With the added boost levels your combustion chamber pressure will increase, putting strain on the head gasket. The studs help keep the head aligned and provides better torque load spread across the head itself...Plus if you DO any other upgrades in the future, such as valves, you don't have to buy a set of bolts. OEM bolts are stretch to yield, so they are one time use only...

The kit can be installed one bolt at a time without having to remove the head, just the valve cover...The cover itself will need to be slightly ground inside for clearance issues, but no biggie...Its just extra insurance...

One other item to look into, is a retainer set...extra insurance.

+1
    You should have no issues. I know dozens of ski's including mine running 15-17lbs of boost and turning 8500+rpms without issue including my 200 hr ski and the 175 hr ski I had before this one. No issues. Also, I always use oem gaskets an stretch bolts when pulling the head. It is IMO the most proven set-up. Also there will be no problem pitching the 15/20 fo your application. Most important thing is to have your A/F right and dont run on the limiter. Runniing too lean and/or on the limiter is death to these things. You want your wot A?F to be around 11.9 and your rpm's to be right where they are now. 8100-8160.

+1
    With a stock ecu you shouldnt have any problems. After 8500 is when these things really wake up. I'm seeing around 14 psi at 8450.

+1
    change stock head bolts for studs??? NOT, it will be fine with your stock bolts. Waste of money for your set up. I have run atleast 10 ski's in the 2rude range and all but 2 were perfect for over 150hours a piece. the 2 in question just started showing signs of more fuel in the oil and catch can.
    GO fo it and have some fun.

+1
    Thankx for the help guys.

Thread Information