Getting air and prop still spinning?

Hi guys, just wanted to tap the knowledgebase here as Im curious to know how the prop handles the ski getting air and then the ski hits water again and the water is slammed into the prop and on a choppy day this happens repeatedly yet I have not managed to find any threads where the prop or driveshaft is snapped due to this. The best way to explain it is like doing a burnout in your car on gravel (no friction) then hitting bichumen (suddenly lots of friction) and then something breaks usually the diff.
    So applying the same principle why does this not happen on the ski? Or do people always take their finger off the throttle when they get small/big air?

+1
    I usually let off the throttle to A: keep off the rev limiter and B:avoid the shock load to the drive line you are talking about. I can't say I am right but haven't broke anything yet either.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by szt8b7 View Post
    I usually let off the throttle to A: keep off the rev limiter and B:avoid the shock load to the drive line you are talking about. I can't say I am right but haven't broke anything yet either.
    Let off the throttle when it starts to un hook. Better that way

it is a MUST to take ur finger off the throttle while jumping, to mainly avoid supercharger failure and premature wear, this is what causes ceramic washers to shatter and it is hard wearing on supercharger shaft, bearings and even metal clutch washers, if it is just choppy water you are talking about then staying on the throttle is ok but airtime requires release unless its someone elses ski who u care very little about, have not heard of any prop damage but im sure on hi hp skis it could occur

Is that because the supercharger loads with boost during air time and then gets hit hard by the sudden stress on the pump? (on landing)

yes, the ski coming unhooked takes all load of the pump and u hit the rev limiter increasing the speed of the supercharger impeller to its limit then the sudden hooking up and drop in revs and drop in speed of the impeller causes immense stress on the supercharger shaft, in extreme cases it will cause shaft to snap, rare, ur driveline wont like it either.

Thread Information