Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any issues with 2003 STX15F

I MEANT 2003 STX12F. SORRY!

It only has 66 hours on it and looks real good. He said he had replace rear pump seal, injectors and starter. Are these common issues or possible normal issues. Just trying to be sure before I pull the trigger. There is no way to play with the hours on these is there?? If it says 66 it will be 66?

We are just looking for a spare at the cabin for family and friends to ride, and keep everyone off our 2 new STX15F's. LOL

How are these compared to the 15F ??

Any input will be greatly appreciated!!

+1
    About as close to bullet proof as you can get on something that has an engine and floats.

Dunno what the "rear pump seal" is as there are a few of them but if it has had a jet rebuild, this is a good thing.

Never replaced a starter or injectors on a kawi 4 stroke yet. So I wouldn't say that they are common issues.

The only way to fudge the hrs is to replace the guage, this may have been done as the 12/15f guage is in no way immortal. If in doubt, pretend you are back in the days before hr meters and check out the general patina instead. (or get a professional pre purchase inspection)

The nat aspirated Kawi's are pretty compy so an 03 with 66hrs has a good chance of having dodgy fuel. If it has a full tank, drain it to be on the safe side, If it has 1/2 or under, top up with the best fuel you can get and don't thrash it until you refuel.

These 12f's are a rediculously reliable nice ski to ride but lack the 15f hit. For your use, it should be ideal. Also, they are 99% 15f so you can have commonality with spares, oils etc. with your other ski's.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    First, its an 03 which means you need to run premium, these first year skis had more timing and if you were running crappy fuel they would deto. otherwise they are awesome skis, I love mine.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    First, its an 03 which means you need to run premium, these first year skis had more timing and if you were running crappy fuel they would deto.
    Really? I used to have an '03 12F... and still have an '04 15F. I was under the impression they could both use regular gas (87 octane)... however, me being a freak, I always ran 91 octane "Premium" in CA...

+1
    I have heard of them running hot, detonating and blowing up the motors on more than one occasion, kawi issued a recall and swapped the ecus.

Sean

Using 87 octane is perfectly OK on 2003 12F (ECU P/N 211753725) just like what the owner's manual says.
    Yes, there has been piston detonation issues on some later model year 12Fs (w/ different P/N ECU) but Kawi never issued a recall.

+1
    You are correct it was not a recall, I was mistaken. The ecu was replaced/swapped under warranty when the ski was in the shop. there are 2 cooling fixtures that you should look at when purchasing a used saltwater ski. the first is under the intake manifold and is a small log attached to the head. on early models this would corrode badly and either overheat the ski or flood it. the other fixture is at the end of the crankcase near the coupler. just check them after riding to see if they are leaking. finally check the exhaust coupler between the first waterbox and the header. this can occasionally go bad from excess heat, improperly installed header or waterbox or extreme hours.

Otherwise they are great skis. be sure to ride one first it should rev to 7000 or more rpms (mine is 7 and 3 bars but its not stock) and check the inside of the hull for water after riding. they are great simple solid and reliable skis and I love my 12, im getting excited about testing my 15.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    the first is under the intake manifold and is a small log attached to the head.
    This is what he's talking about, the 6" long aluminum pipe just under the #2 & #3 intake port with the black cooling hose attached at the one end.

Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    Using 87 octane is perfectly OK on 2003 12F (ECU P/N 211753725) just like what the owner's manual says.
    Yes, there has been piston detonation issues on some later model year 12Fs (w/ different P/N ECU) but Kawi never issued a recall.
    Sorry to bring up old post. I have one of the bad ECU skis and was going to buy a new ECU, but I run premium fuel. Does this mean I don't have to worry about this problem?
    Theres not much info on this subject. it seems like you and smokey are the only ones who know anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by scaf77 View Post
    I run premium fuel. Does this mean I don't have to worry about this problem?
    I say using premium fuel is better but it's not the 100% solution. Using the latest ECU or '03-'04 ECU is the way to go. If you mostly ride in ocean, it's less likely to detonate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information