2x 2004 Seadoo RXP. Milwaukee, Wisconsin. wisconsin_quat's Avatar

Best value for money upgrade on stock stereo system 2006 Speedster 200?

The stock M255 clarion and 4 speaker system can't be heard as you're bouncing along at 55mph.

So my question to the audio guys is this; what causes distortion at higher volume? Inadequate speakers or inadequate head unit?

What specifications should I look at specifically when buying speakers / a head unit?

I am looking to be able to hook up a non-ipod aux input so I can listen to music from my phone. Deck speaker suggestions?

Lakeland, FL
    Unless the speakers are damaged, distortion comes from trying to run them with inadequate power. In fact, speaker damage is more prone to occur using too little power, rather than too much. I don't think you'll find a head unit alone with enough power so you'll be able to hear the music at top speed. You'll need an amp for that, and a sub also makes a dramatic difference. Hell, I've got a 600w amp, sub, and upgraded carbon fiber speakers, and I can still barely hear the stereo at top speed. Top speed for me is 65mph, though, and the little speedster 150 has no windshields, so you should be able to get it sounding well in a s200 with an amp. I originally bought the Dual head unit I have (Dual MXDM70), cause its specs had the highest power output I could find at the time, and I was trying to avoid using an amp, but it wasn't even close. A little louder than the stock Clarion, but not even close to being able to hear it at almost any speed. I can't recommend Dual, it's a piece of crap. I'm happy with my Sony amp and sub, though. When I have to replace the crappy Dual (again), I'll go with Sony or Alpine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC0271s.jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	239524  

Lake Norman, NC
    I have a kenwood in my truck with an amp. It has Bluetooth audio support. I can stream audio to the receiver through Bluetooth. That would work great if you wanted to keep your phone in a waterproof bag and still want audio through it.

...Lighting The Water On Fire Since '04 duramaxxed's Avatar
    The Hamptons, Long Island, New York
    Right now, Kenwood Marine Headunits have the Highest Watts Per Channel @ 22w.

I just put the 440U In my Wrangler and it Sounds Awesome.

Just installed a Fusion MS-IP600 and their 7" speakers in my '06 Speedster 200. Night and day difference from the stock Clarion. The front cover of the head unit folds down and your ipod installs inside, completely waterproof. Quality of both the head unit and speakers is also night and day.

Bought it from West Marine - they price match internet sites.

Head unit @ WM $349 Hodges $275
    Speakers @ WM $149/pair Hodges $86/pair

If you have a WM near you you should check these out.

Pt Pleasant NJ
    Which Fusion speakers did you install, are you still happy with them, and how easily did they mount into the stock cutouts?

Thread Information