Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New member with 2011 VXS, yet to be launched

Hello, this looks to be a very active and informative forum.

As a bit of background, I have owned two stroke pwcs since 1985. A JS440, then a polaris sl650, and finally a 95 XP800 which I still own today. This is my first Yamaha and first 4 stroke pwc. I do have a 4 stroke Yamha sled and a rhino, so the brand has been good to me.

I purchased a VXS this past week and I am hoping to launch it monday. I have a couple questions as the information from the dealer seems to conflict the owners manual.

The dealer said to just run it as it came and not change the oil until the end of the season. The manual states to change the engine oil after 10 hours.

What is the community opinion?

Also, I was told that there is essentially nothing to grease and essentially no maintenance till the off season. The ski will be left at the lake, sometimes in the water at the dock, and sometimes pulled onto the trailer depending on conditions. It will be used most weekends.

Is there any I should check/test prior to its first use?
    Any tips regarding maintenance, care?
    Any known issues with the machine?
    Any tips in general, or good products?

Lastly, is there an aftermarket trim system?

Wow, alot of questions for a first post. I really appreciate the help.

Change the oil at 10 hours.There is no trim on your new VXR.Good luck and have fun.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk

I have 25 hours on my VXS and it has been great. I did change the oil at 10 hours. And I changed the Oil Filter / changed oil again at 25 hours. Even on my first oil change, the oil came out very clean. I will change oil again at 50 hours. Then oil / filter again at 100 hours. I am changing oil / filter more than I have too (it's a habit from my Ultra 260).

At 10 hours I put about 10 "small and slow" pumps of grease (small grease gun) into the Zirk fitting which puts grease into the intermediate housing. There is already some grease in there from the Facory so no need to grease it to death. The grease in this case is not for the Bearings, rather it occupies "space" in that area.

That's it . . . 87 octane and away you go! You will be surprised how fast the boat is; you will be able to keep up with any other PWC provided the water doesn't get too rough. Why did you pick VXS over VXR? JB.

I choose the VXS mostly because I think the black looks better than the grey or blue. Also, I tend to use alot of the seat, moving around alot when running hard. I guess its a carry over from my stand up days and time with XP where body position was critical. I thought The VXR seat with its ridge halfway back would sort of get in the way. Never had a boarding platform before, and I don't need one now.

Only other difference is that the VXS is slightly lighter, for whatever its worth, due to the lighter seat and lack of boarding platform. Otherwise, the two are identical.

Quote Originally Posted by dukenyc View Post
    I choose the VXS mostly because I think the black looks better than the grey or blue. Also, I tend to use alot of the seat, moving around alot when running hard. I guess its a carry over from my stand up days and time with XP where body position was critical. I thought The VXR seat with its ridge halfway back would sort of get in the way. Never had a boarding platform before, and I don't need one now.

Only other difference is that the VXS is slightly lighter, for whatever its worth, due to the lighter seat and lack of boarding platform. Otherwise, the two are identical.
    Yep . . . I am on VXS for the same reasons

+1
    The dealer said to just run it as it came and not change the oil until the end of the season. The manual states to change the engine oil after 10 hours.
    What is the community opinion?
    Welcome to the forum!
    10 hours is correct. I don't know what a "season" is where you live; down here in Florida we ride all year. But some people up north have a very short riding season; so if you only plan on riding the ski for 10 hours between now and the end of the season then I guess the dealer would be correct.

Changing the oil at 10 hours is a good idea; it also allows that dealer to enter your ski into the maintenance computer system so there is a record if there was ever an unlikely warranty claim. Personally, I like to get my skis into the dealer once a year for this reason, just for a check up and to have a record of me being there.

Also, I was told that there is essentially nothing to grease and essentially no maintenance till the off season. The ski will be left at the lake, sometimes in the water at the dock, and sometimes pulled onto the trailer depending on conditions. It will be used most weekends.
    For lake riding you will find maintenance to be almost zero (salt water is different). However I would personally avoid leaving that ski in the water for an extended time, because they sometimes leak around the ride plate seals, hoses, etc. If you leave it in the water use caution and keep checking under that seat for any water in the hull.

Is there any I should check/test prior to its first use?
    Any tips regarding maintenance, care?
    Any known issues with the machine?
    Any tips in general, or good products?
    Before first use, just make sure you have oil and make sure all hoses are clamped on properly and you should be good to go. You have purchased a very reliable model. For more general tips, see my sticky at this link:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ur-New-Sea-Doo...

YoYamma is correct; if you can take it out of the water at end of day that is better. I did have to leave my VXS in the water (fresh) overnight on one occasion and it was ok (did not take on any water). Or, if you have access to one of those "ride onto" floating docks that takes care of the situation too.

The boating season in NY is May-Oct. I would anticipate about 10 hours a week throughout the season. We stay on our boat every weekend and in the past we have left the PWC tied in the slip next to the boat. I ussually pull it out sunday night. Most weeks we stay on the boat 2 nights during the work week as well. Depending on the weather, we pull the ski out and leave it at the marina, or just leave it in the water if we are coimg back the next day after work.

It is supposed to be stormy on monday, but i'll probably put it in anyway just to test it out. I have to go up to the boat anyway to bring supplies for the up coming Memorial Day weekend anyway.

Thanks for the replies.

Welcome!

I had the same questions about a year ago with my FX SHO....I would recommend spending the first 10 hrs "breaking it in" and then take it out to get the oil changed.....thats what I did.....then now since its the start of a new riding season for me I'm about to bring it in and get all the matentince required done on it (oil change, lubrications, checking of things, etc.)

good luck!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information