Carb full of corrosion, is further investigation recommended?

I recently purchased a 96 XP and it started up and ran fine. I was cleaning the fuel system and replacing the fuel lines and noticed I have one carb that is full of corrosion. Should I pull the head and check for more corrosion in the engine or is this typical?
    Dustin

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    depends...take some pictures of the carbs. personally i would replace the carbs. as for the motor. if it ran i would assume that its fine. run it till it blows then rebuild for $700ish. how long did the ski sit before you ran it? was it stored properly and was it a salt water boat?

Fresh water ski. Not sure how long it has set. I just did a compression test, 165 in both cylinders. On further inspection it looks like it was limited to only the mag side. I took the rotary valve cover off and there is a hole in the rotary valve. So the water must have been there for some time to rust a hole through it. I will post pics later, wife has only camera. I have never ran the ski. I bought it a month ago.
    Thanks, Dustin

The extra hole helps get more fuel in my engine!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    now this scares me. was this motor rebuilt? can you see paint missing off the bolts on the top of the head? take some pictures of the engine bay, carbs and pull the rave valves and take a picture of them as well. something just doesnt seem right. also you said that it started up and ran fine but in the last post you recanted that. there is no way that this motor runs fine with a couple holes in the rotary valve.

Sorry for the confusion. When I picked up the ski I started it up to verify that it ran. I have not had it on the water yet. The head bolts shows signs of removal. I will get some more pics for you today. What it looks like to me is someone tried to wash the inside with a powerwasher maybe? The water than sat in the mag carb and since the valve was closed it rusted a hole in the valve. It is hard to tell in the pictures but if you look close you can see the outline of the port where the corrosion is.
    Dustin

Thread Information