Overland Park, ks

Ban on Personal Watercraft Proposed from Cambria to Marin County, CA

The Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary is considering a major change to the areas it protects: a ban on personal water craft from Cambria to Stinson Beach, north of San Francisco.

The coastline is home to very large waves, which can only be surfed by using personal watercraft to "tow" the surfers into the waves. The ban would mean no large jet skis, or boats up to 20 feet in length.

Some biologists at the National Oceanix and Atmospheric Administration say the ban will protect marine life that can become agitated or injures by the neavy, fast-moving machines.

NOAA is accepting public comment on the proposed ban up until January 5. If you'd like to attend the local Central Coast meeting, it's tomorrow night (Wednesday, November 29) at the Cambria Pines Lodge at 1905 Burton Drive in Cambria. It begins at 6:30 p.m.

Ya know..I have nothing against "tree huggers".They do play a role upon civilization.With that being said..Excuse me while I sharpen my ax,I've got a role to play

Richmond, VA
    Here's more info and how everyone can email comments...

AWA ALERT: Monterey Bay, California.
    Tell NOAA that only facts and science should influence public boating access, not baseless opinions.
    AWA is fighting to maintain your PWC access in the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is in the final stages of banning all personal watercraft from these public waters.
    NOAA has never conducted an Environmental Assessment, nor asked the PWC community for input. Instead, they are proposing to ban personal watercraft with studies conducted 3,000 miles away in the Florida Everglades! As if they are good enough to warrant a complete ban on the California coast.
    Take action now and let NOAA know that personal opinions and the bias input of extreme no-access groups can not justify prohibiting tens of thousands of citizens from public waters.
    We need the PWC Nation to send a short comment using the below link. Five minutes of your time is all it takes.
    Should this risky scheme by NOAA continue unchecked, itís very likely they will attempt the same in other Sanctuaries. Get involved now for the future of your Freedom to Ride.
    Visit the AWA website and click on Grassroots Activism to make your voice heard.
    Sincerely,Chris Manthos Executive Director
    American Watercraft Association

Mesa, AZ
    This is certainly a very big issue. Not only does this effect California, but IF this goes thru, they can use the same logic to ban watercraft anywhere. "We banned them in Fla, so we are going to ban them in Washington."

Campbell, Ca.
    I can't begine to tell everybody the importance of becoming an AWA member and letting them hear our numbers.

Old School Never Dies! codemanrose's Avatar
    I did a persuasive paper in school on PWC bans in national parks and restrictions of them. It's getting annoyng to hear them say the same thing over and over, "Well they make too much noise, they are pollutant, and there are too many accidents." Umm, the new generation of watercrafts are 90% less pollutant, 70% less noise, and accidents have greatly declined by 75% from 1999 to 2006.

Oh, by the way, I got an A- on the paper so it must have been good, lol.

Thread Information