Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does Anybody's Ski Make a Noise When Turning

I just replaced my prop with a skat so I can send my stock one to Impros to do the mod. When putting it back together I torqued the prop to spec, 72,73lbs I think. And put it all back together. I can hear something like a cavitation noise or almost like a grinding noise when I turn. Maybe it was there before and I just didn't notice, but doubt it. Any ideas? RPMs are good for this [email protected],600 gps-65.3 The holeshot is great and no cavitation there.

Does the stock grate starve the pump when turning at speeds of 30-45mph?

+1
    the way you describe it, it sounds like cavitation, however if rpms stay consistant and ski doesnt slow down during the turn, its got me beat.

Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    the way you describe it, it sounds like cavitation, however if rpms stay consistant and ski doesnt slow down during the turn, its got me beat.
    Yep, RPMs stay consistent in the turn and it doesn't slow down either. It's not at a sharp turn when I hear it. The handlebars are around half way before full lock. It almost sound like a bearing is vibrating or a small stick is stuck in the prop. Once I go straight it sounds fine. Weird! I hate wondering "what was that noise" even if it is nothing to worry about.

+1
    i do remember that same noise had me beat stopping and starting all the time to try and hear it or feel where it was coming from, and it was one of the reasons for my last pump teardown and check, found front pump bearing split, not suggesting thats whats wrong with yours but i certainly would investigate more if you never checked the bearings when you changed over to the scatty.

i do remember that same noise had me beat stopping and starting all the time to try and hear it or feel where it was coming from, and it was one of the reasons for my last pump teardown and check, found front pump bearing split, not suggesting thats whats wrong with yours but i certainly would investigate more if you never checked the bearings when you changed over to the scatty.
    I just did the duel front bearing and nut on the rear of the shaft about 7HR before. All bearings are new and OEM.

One thing I read on a thread somewhere here that I did, was putting a little grease around where the big rubber gasket of the pump meets up to the hull just to get it to slide in a bit better. That guy said if you do that, then it doesn't seal up very good and is likely to cause the cavitation. But from a dead stop I can holeshot and it doesn't skip a beat. I guess I could tear it down again when I get my modded prop back from Dave and replace the bearings again just to put my mind at ease.

I just did the duel front bearing and nut on the rear of the shaft about 7HR before. All bearings are new and OEM.

One thing I read on a thread somewhere here that I did, was putting a little grease around where the big rubber gasket of the pump meets up to the hull just to get it to slide in a bit better. That guy said if you do that, then it doesn't seal up very good and is likely to cause the cavitation. But from a dead stop I can holeshot and it doesn't skip a beat. I guess I could tear it down again when I get my modded prop back from Dave and replace the bearings again just to put my mind at ease.

2011 N/A champ 2011-2012 turbo champ elpeladodelsamba's Avatar
    +1
    mine does it when i turn tight with more than 1/2 throtle . it is 100%stock exept for washers. and does another sound when i come wot and let off throtle like somthing its hiting the hull. my yamaha vxr does no noises at all. i guess they are just diferent !! 300 is a monster anyway

Quote Originally Posted by elpeladodelsamba View Post
    mine does it when i turn tight with more than 1/2 throtle . it is 100%stock exept for washers. and does another sound when i come wot and let off throtle like somthing its hiting the hull. my yamaha vxr does no noises at all. i guess they are just diferent !! 300 is a monster anyway
    I think I was more than half throttle when turning that I heard the noise. I guess maybe it's normal, but I don't remember it doing it before. Thanks.

2011 N/A champ 2011-2012 turbo champ elpeladodelsamba's Avatar
    +1
    yes maybe more than half but she makes a strange noise . it is normal i guess i am not concerned about it

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Elityler View Post

even if you just did the dual bearing mod 7hrs ago,a grinding noise is not normal,if i were you i would remove the pump and pull out the bearing just to be sure that everythings allright

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information