Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2011 GTX iS215 test drive: got a couple Q's

I wend to a demo day today I was able to ride the GTX iS 215, as well as the Kawil ultra 300X and the Yami VXS. All 2011 models.

I have a question for you Sea-Doo guys:
    The reason I was put on the GTX iS215 was because they didn't have the RXT-X 260, which is what I was interested by (along the other 2 I noted above). I was told it has the same hull, so the handling carateristics would be close to the RXT-X260. Without knowing how to switch it to "sport mode", I found the "stock" throttle response disapointing. It was very much like a turbo car, until you got into the sweet spot. I assume the "sport mode" would have riden this?
    The initial turn-in, heck most of the turns felt sluggish and slow in comparison to the other two. Is this typical of that hull? or is it due to the weight/power ratio? (960lb/215 hp) Would the RXT-X being 100lb lighter and 45 more hp turn more sharply?.
    Other than that, it did really well in the rough water! and for nearly 1000lb, it felt/was more stable than the Kawi (minus the punch).

The RXT-X 260 in sport mode has a very sharp throttle response and is very quick off the line and also through and out of corners.
    The iS model skis are quite heavy though handle pretty well with the 260hp models.
    You will not be disappointed in the RXT-X 260, great all round ski

+1
    Sport Mode activation = HOLD SET for 3+ seconds, "Sport Mode Displayed" on dash, hit SET again - done.

There is NO comparison to "Touring Mode" and Sport Mode. You NEED to go ride it again with Sport Mode. The X 260's turn up their own ass, very hard, and aggressive - especially with the trim all the way up. I have almost thrown my self off several times doing very aggressive hard 180 degree bat turns!

The Touring Mode throttle response IS A PIG - its for cruising around 35-45 mph with your GF or wife!

Who ever demo'd that ski did you a disservice!

ok so sounds to me the RXT/P-X could be a good buy as well...what about the initial turn in that was so sluggish in comparison to the VXS and ultra? is that influenced by the riding selection as well?
    I have to be honest, after the demo day today, I was pretty much sold on a VXR, but I did like the handling of the SD in rougher waters, if it could fix the initial turn in to be sharper and get some of that ultra 300 punch in it, that would have been it, thus one of the RXT/P-X could be the key -unfortunatly they didn't have those out

+1
    what kind of riding do you do??above all, this should be you're #1 priority.

know why they didn't have any 260-X's?? cause they are selling tons of them and the IS series are not selling that well...imo

do some more homework and good luck!!

well I will be riding in harbors/bays/FL Gulf and some calm-ish river water. This demo day was eye opening, just wished they had the RXT-X out! Thus far, love the VXR, but love the punch of the 300, didn't care to much for its constant SC whine... thus far I can't find any review of the RXT-X vs the VXR or vs the Ultra 300...and riding really says it all...so I can only compare the GTX iS 215... if the RXT/P-X turns better than the GTX and feel as nimble as the VXR while having more punch than the GTX, I think I'd be sold on it...

went back today, re-tested the 215, in sport mod this time...huge difference! I'm still not a big fan of the initial turn-in feel but I was WOT most of the time in 2-3 ft chop and definetly the nices ride in rough waters from all the skis there. I re-tested the ultra, and tried the FX SHO...SD take the cake for rough water IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    The X 260's turn up their own ass,
    lol but so true.

As for test comparing the VXR to the supercharged skis listed, doubtfull you will find a comparison as they are different class's of skis.
    The T-X 260 in touring mode is very sluggish. before buying something else you need to ride it in the sport mode to really see its true potential.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by QWKRN U View Post
    lol but so true.

As for test comparing the VXR to the supercharged skis listed, doubtfull you will find a comparison as they are different class's of skis.
    The T-X 260 in touring mode is very sluggish. before buying something else you need to ride it in the sport mode to really see its true potential.
    ^^^^^^^He just said he went back and road the 215IS in sport mode.
    re-tested the 215, in sport mod this time...huge difference!
    I wish you could test a 260TX or 255PX to compare as well.
    Both should impress you in power and PX will turn in for you.
    I would try to find a dealer with the above skis and then buy the one you like.

Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    ^^^^^^^He just said he went back and road the 215IS in sport mode.
    I wish you could test a 260TX or 255PX to compare as well.
    Both should impress you in power and PX will turn in for you.
    I would try to find a dealer with the above skis and then buy the one you like.
    I was saying to ride a 260 vs the 215 before making final decision.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information