Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Demo ride, back to back...lots of fun!

Rode the ultra 300x and VXS back to back, 4 times: one each with the wife on board, and one each "sans wife".

I would like some opinion of the seasoned riders, basically to make sure I'm not going the "wrong way":

at the end of the day, I was ready to go get a VXR (didn't like the seat of the S but that's what they had in the water), because I found the ski's stability giving me more confidence to push it and have fun with it (tossing it around). Top speed, couldn't tell ya, but I know my buddy rode the VXS while I was on the ultra 300 and with the wife and I on the ultra and him by himself, we were going as fast. We were ahead just because the stupid acceleration of the ultra will sligshot it up front.
    I found the ultra to be top heavy, especially at low speed. For some reason, the way it handle didn't give me confidence to toss it around. Love the acceleration, just plain absurd!.
    I'm second guessing myself and thinking that all of these is my lack of riding experience. I'm second guessing myself thinking that I might get boared with the VXS/R. I did find the ultra blower whine annoying after 5 minutes though. not sure why, I've been a hotroder for years and I have loud cars...but this whine, constant (unlike on cars) was getting anoying (I may be able to live with it, so I'm not going to make that a major deal breaker)
    I was able to ride both craft in rough water (2' + a few boats going by in the harbor) and yes the ultra seems better at it, but the VXS appeared to simply glide on top of the wave (which isn't bad either) while giving you a serious work out (hey, I have a 35' foot, if I want leasure I can take that out after all lol).

Any of you more seasoned rider regret going VXR/S at all? (simply talking riding style, handling -lets forget maintenance, fuel use etc)

PS: I told the wife to go test a couple on her own...big mistake, she wants her own too now!

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Ask yourself this question. Was there anthing about the 300 that would make you want to spend $5,000 to $7,000 more than the VXR?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by XLT Chad View Post
    Ask yourself this question. Was there anthing about the 300 that would make you want to spend $5,000 to $7,000 more than the VXR?
    Well said ! +1 buy two vxr's and go have fun...jmho

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    I am coming from an Ultra 250 to a VXS......and I am pleased with getting the VXS so far, 8.7 hours on the clock, I have ridden Kawis for years....going back to the SS 750s 900s, 1100s, 150s, STXRs, 15fs, 250s......and I can say the VXS is one of the best all around skis that I have owned, my only 2 complaints/wishes is that it had trim, and a tad more storage for those long trips, using a cooler off the back helps a lot though...........

there's a 3500 difference in price between the two...but I do get the point anyway, the answer is not really... I played with the trim on the 300 and didn't notice any difference (up or down even neutral and I was doing speed run in all trim setting, just didn't feel or see any diff).

Like I stated, at the end of the day, I was thinking I had more fun with the VXR... the other contestant might be a SD RXT-X or even RXP-X but they didn't have those and the closest I rode was the GTX-iS 215 (same hull), and it left me with a couple tech questions that I've posted on the SD section...

PS: The wife likes the SD GTI 130...maybe even steping it up to the 155...she's just waiting on me to make a decision, as she is all set and ready to go get hers lol

+1
    If you ride choppy waters, 300 all day. If you want a reliable, low maintenance ski get the VXR/S. If your looking for the fastest ski out of the box go with the RXPX. It all depends on what your looking for.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    One other factor to concider is reliability, a huge plus for the VXR.

+1
    msrp 300X- 14,499.... VXR- 11,199 Difference= 3,300. Where do you come up with 5-7K? Try not to spew bogus info if you can help yourself.

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1
    Why not get your wife the longer and heavier one, and get yourself a VXR/S ? Win/win there. I love the way my VXS handles. Like you said it is a load of fun to toss around. The VX is short on storage, but the Riva rear bucket helps a lot. Also, I would like trim. I have been riding since the early 90's and must say that the VXS is close to the perfect ski for me. I sold my FZS one week and bought the VXS the next week. No big regrets there. The VX would not be my choice if I were to ride "two up" all of the time. Once in a while two people is fine, but kinda takes the fun out of the VX. Two up riding I would have kept my FZ.
    Chuck

+1
    how can you compare the two skis they are totally different in all characteristics, one is built for speed and rough water the other is a low budget no options flat water ski with a n/a motor. would help if you were comparing apples with apples. hate the vxr for its cheapness feel and poor rough water handling.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information