Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

excessive smoke 2000 gp1200r

Alright first post searched for 2 days nothing with similar issues maybe Im dumb but couldn't find it . Anyways bought a used gp got it home fired it up on the hose and holy Shit I could kill every mosquito in everett. At idle it has a weird rattle and seems as tho one cylinder is kicking in and out. pull the wire sometimes it changes sometimes it dont. All cylinders have 120 lbs across the board plugs are brand new. Bilge has a puddle of oil on the right side I'm not sure off. So I guess my question is what could it be I thought I looked this thing over but apparently not enough. I bought it from a yamaha dealer and got a written agreement to basically take it for a test run and if anything is f-ed I can bring it back. So I'm looking for answers on whether or not to keep this thing or take it back tuesday.

+1
    I would take it for a test ride and ride the hound out of it the smoke should clear up these things have the tendency to accumulate some oil in the air box if it sits a long time. if they are going to cover any problems its better to find them now.

Did that today smoke didn't clear up in fact it will sometimes get up on a plane only to then sound like its starving for fuel then if I hold it wot it dies. If I let off it will idle but as soon as I try to open it up again it won't accelerate or will for a very short time like 3-5 seconds then bog down. It feels like as soon as the powerband wants to hit it chokes and stalls out. If I hold it at about half throttle it will kinda stay going a little longer but eventually fall on its face. I got one run of about 15 seconds flat out of it right at the begining it seems like it would be a fast ski if it worked right, but this one sure as hell don't and sure as hell ain't going anywhere fast anytime soon.

So unless someone can tell me what the problem is and the fix is dirt cheap or free I'm done with it

I'm taking it back on Tuesday my wifes 93 waverunner 3 with my 450 pound buddy on it was out doing circles around me laughing.

I would take it back and find another ski imho

Yea definitely just hold out for something better. No need to purchase a headache when your wife could supply them for free lol j/k

+1
    Were are you at Ive got a nice 2000 1200R if your still looking.

I live in Washington. took it back to the dealer today they are rebuilding all 3 carbs and going thru it. Gonna give that a shot if it still acts up or I don't like they said I can return it and get my money back

lol why did they not do this before you got the ski? I would take it back to them and tell them to stuff it. Time for a dealer who cares?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zakre View Post
    lol why did they not do this before you got the ski? I would take it back to them and tell them to stuff it. Time for a dealer who cares?

If the compression is good it just needs a carb rebuild. The fact they gave him any kind of guarantee shows it's a good dealer. Most of the time it's buyer beware when buying anything AS-IS dealer or private party.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaGuy View Post
    If the compression is good it just needs a carb rebuild. The fact they gave him any kind of guarantee shows it's a good dealer. Most of the time it's buyer beware when buying anything AS-IS dealer or private party.
    Yeah I gotta give them a bit of credit for helping. But they prob don't have a choice if he just bought it and its the first ride.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information