1990 Seadoo sp starter issue

I recently picked up a 1990 Seadoo SP, more as a machine for my friends to screw around on... It seems to need a starter.

Anyone have any step by step how to's on how to pull this thing out? I have never done one of these before..

Also...it cranked fairly well originally...but I may have cranked it too long before it would start..so perhaps I toasted it (though...for any decent starter...i dont think I over did it...I have never burnt out a starter before from cranking it ignorantly. )

What typically goes on these starters? Is it an easy fix? I heard of putting them in an oven for an hour at 120F...anyone ever done that?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    if your cranking and cranking before it starts you have other issues that you need to look at. for starters you need to get into the fuel system and clean the carbs and replace the needle and seats. THEN it will fire with minimal cranking.

Yah...not too worried about its lack of starting..It has been sitting for a few years (properly winterized) and it almost ran...It will definately go... The fact that it didnt run..was more likely the weak battery in the first place had trouble cranking it fast enough along with my inexperience with the choke/throttle/flooding combination..

So..just working on the starter issue at the moment...

+1
    thats the problem...its not the starter, its the fuel system. Sitting for a few years does some things. Properly winterized means that there is antifreeze in the water system and fogging oil in the cylinders and maybe seafoam in the tank...but what about the fuel lines and carbs?? im sure the carbs were bone dry and all the seals/gaskets are dried up and or cracked. For example, on my two stroke I just have to hit the starter and pull the choke for a second or two and it fires right up. you shouldnt have to do a special combo to get it to run or extended cranking.

The machine will run, it almost did. sometimes things that have been sitting for a while...and run dry out of fuel...will require more than one or two cranks to get going.

the machine definately needs a starter (ie: to a point where you need to tap at it to get it moving).

Anyone have any how to's for this? Does the exhaust have to come off?

+1
    it all comes apart. for that small motor I would rather pull the motor than cuss and bleed JMO

+1
    Super easy on that machine. Just unbolt the pipe and get it out of your way. Pull the starter and dis-assemble it. It will have little burnt places on the copper armature where the carbon brushes ride. Clean the whole thing out with contact cleaner, go around where the brushes ride with a scuff pad to get it nice and shiney, take a file or 220 grit sandpaper to the brushes and flatten them back out, lube the ends and put it back together. I've done it a hundred times.

Thread Information