Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    +1

20a fuse keeps blowing. Why?

Here's the story:

2 Weeks ago I had a potential buyer call me about my GPR. He gave me a call 20 min before he was on his way over so that I could have the ski pulled out and uncovered for him when he got to my house. I uncovered it, started it once and waited for the buyer to show up. The guy was totally getting stoked out over my ski and was getting ready to pull the cash out of his pocket.He asked if we could start it and I said "Of course". Then it didn't start.... Turned over like a champ, but no spark. I later discovered that the rectifier plug had shorted out, and crashhard send me a rectifier with a plug still attached with enough wiring on it for me to splice it into my old harness. The red and black wires were pretty obvious to match together, and on the green wires I labeled both sides as III,II,I so that the order would remain the same. Although I haven't looked at the schematic to be positive, it probably doesn't matter the order since they come off of the stator.

Here's my problem:

I went to start the ski, and NOTHING. So I checked the fuses and the 20 amp fuse was blown. So I replaced it and then went to start it again. The motor started to turn over then stopped. Fuse blew again. So again I put in another fuse.. well, the fuse blew the moment that I started to insert it. Twice! So something is obviously wrong, I just can't think of what would cause this? Any thoughts?

+1
    check your bildge pump.

+1
    Thanks Lee,
    I'll give it a look tomorrow when I get home from work.. Between tenants moving out of my other house and thrashing the place, rearranging my home (office and den) to make a nursery for my first baby, and 40 hrs of work, it's getting hard to find free time to fix the projects I want and need to work on... Fingers crossed!!!

+1
    OK, update:

Disconnected the bilge pump and still blew fuses. Disconnected the rectifier that I got from Crashhard and no blown fuses. Installed my old rectifier and still no blown fuses. Only problem still exsisting... still no spark.

New question #1: Could my stator be bad? [My ski sank last year when I left if parked on a dock overnight at a lake last year, and maybe it got oil past the oil inj. pump - I was dumb enough to install my new (used) pump without a new gasket (maybe there's been water in there?), but I figured I'd never have that much water in the bilge... (time for a block off plate as soon as the ski gets a FI programmer)]

New question #2: Does anyone know the readings that I should read on a rectifier/regulator? I'd prefer to know 100% if my rectifier was bad, or if the rectifier crashhard send me is no good.

+1
    Sent you a pm, I will ship another tomorrow, that one came off a running ski but you never know. But the tuff thing about selling electronics is you can cross wires or have an existing problem and cause damage to new parts. You will have the new one friday so let me know. Thanks

+1
    Ok, I'm still baffled.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GPR Fuses.JPG 
Views:	318 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	240202

+1
    I just got home from work and the second rectifier Crashhard sent me was waiting in my mailbox. I plugged it in and.... No blown fuses! But still no spark...

+1
    Are there any sensors that could cause this? Maybe a engine temp sensor? If so, can you bypass a sensor to confuse the ecm for testing purposes?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball View Post
    Are there any sensors that could cause this? Maybe a engine temp sensor? If so, can you bypass a sensor to confuse the ecm for testing purposes?
    Sensor on the bottom of the stinger pipe. That will cause no spark

+1
    thanks Lee

Do you know how I can bypass the sensor? Open or closed? Or does it require a specific resistance? O I guess I can do it the 'ol fashioned way and boil some water. I just have to be sneaky about going into my wife's kitchen with parts. She gets a little peeved with me when I have dirty hands in her kitchen...

Name:	testing.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	240302

Name:	rectifier.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	240295

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information