Jet pump hesitation before acceleration???

Ok, Im turning to the GH experts here for help. Long story short, I mod'ed my STX15f (2007) and just got the pump back form Skiworx gettign rebuilt. Put it on, took it out, and when I first hit the throttle, the RPMS shoot up to 8k and barely any forward movement. After 3-5 seconds, it seems the pump/impeller/dunno catches up and takes off. Anyone else had this issue? ANyone know what it may be?

Some more background info to cover the questions: RPM kit installed as instructed, free flow exhaust mod with re-routed waterline, replaced solas concord 14/21 with new (same model same pitch as before), R&D ride plate, spindles on drive shaft look good (no wear)

Im thinking cavitation. Could it be?

+1
    I'm not familiar with the pump on that model. Did you put any sealant anywhere when you put it back together? I don't know if you're supposed to or not.

+1
    yep cavitation either wrong pitch, badly worn or installed incorrectly

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I'm not familiar with the pump on that model. Did you put any sealant anywhere when you put it back together? I don't know if you're supposed to or not.
    Steve, yes I did. When installing the Adjust-a-thrust shuttle cone, it says to put a bead of silicone on the face where the shuttlecone face and pump face meet (to ensure water tight seal). Thats the only place.

Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    yep cavitation either wrong pitch, badly worn or installed incorrectly
    nicjak, thats what Im thinking. I dont think its the wrong pitch because I replaced the impeller I used all year last year (with no problems). it had a Solas COncord 14/21 on it, and I replace dit with the same thing, same pitch. When installing, Im pretty sure I done it right. Installed it on a shorter impeller shaft that came along with the shuttle cone assy (after market).

Should I be looking for an anti-cavitation cone for this? i seen one for the Ultra LX, not for the 15 though. Should I replace my pump? Im thinking a Skat trak magnum, but I heard unless you have seriously upgraded your HP from stock (like adding a SC or Turbo), it isnt
    worth the money. Any guidance would help. Thanks for the gudance I got already. Thanks.

UPDATE: After tweeking with the pump and impeller, it seems my problems have gotten worse. Now, even with feathering the throttle, it seems when I hit the gas the motor spins, but no forward motion other than a slow idle (with RPMs maxed out). very low RPMs (idle speed) can get some thrust and torque, but as soon as you give it a significant amount of throttle, its just bogs. Any ideas guys?

Quote Originally Posted by 07STX15 View Post
    UPDATE: After tweeking with the pump and impeller, it seems my problems have gotten worse. Now, even with feathering the throttle, it seems when I hit the gas the motor spins, but no forward motion other than a slow idle (with RPMs maxed out). very low RPMs (idle speed) can get some thrust and torque, but as soon as you give it a significant amount of throttle, its just bogs. Any ideas guys?
    UPDATE UPDATE: ok im a f*n retard for not noticing this before, but would not having the rubber gasket/ seal on the impeller side of the jet pump be causing this cavitation? DOH! Yes I think so. Im going to order that seal and report back my findings. Please no hurtful comments guys. Pray to the ski gods this is my fix!

+1
    hey we didnt call you a retard you did

+1
    Well, you won't make that mistake again!

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Well, you won't make that mistake again!
    no indeed not! well at least ive learned my lesson; always ALWAYS look over your equipment before installing.

Thread Information