Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2008 150 speedster washers

we bought our boat new in 08 and it now has 65 hours on it and the engine has never given us a problem. WOT it has about 8000RPM's max. I drive this boat real hard and beat it up. Haven't checked supercharger if it has ceramics or not. So my question is if it had ceramics would the supercharger already given out? And we purchased the boat in May. Ive heard in 08 that some of the speedsters had metal and some had ceramic washers.

There's just no way to predict how long they may last. The theory is, the ceramic washers break more often in skis, because they are jumping out of the water more. Boats are by no means immune, though. I remember a few years back, at a couple different Speedster owners asking this same question, and the answer was the same, that they are timebombs which could blow at any time. Both Speedster owners had their clutch washers go a short time later. It really is playing Russian Roulette; you might have a decent chance of not getting the loaded chamber, but it’s devastating if you do. You’re starting to approach a time when you should get your SC rebuilt anyway (100hrs). I’d just get a rebuild early, and you’ll get the metal washers. When I got my metal washers in ’07, I used it as an excuse to also upgrade to a more powerful SC wheel. (fair warning, though, once the modding bug hits, it is an expensive ailment)

PS: I never found a confirmed case where an '08 boat came with metal washers. From the factory, it was pretty much metal washers for skis only in '08, the '09 for boats. (pretty shitty, they knew of the ceramic washer problem, yet still helped deplete their stock of them by throwing them in boats)

Ugh well thats crappy news to hear. I know there's a way to check if your SC is failing or not on this website but I can't find it again? Could someone post a link? Thanks.

The How-To section (under "Sea Doo Personal Watercrafts") has some links regarding the supercharger, but again, your not going to find a link that will help you diagnose if it is about to fail. Your supercharger will work 100% up until the point of failure, then once failed, the primary symptom is that your RPMs will only be 6500 at full throttle, because that is all the power this engne will produce without the supercharger. You might want to just bite-the-bullet and plan to do it soon, and thank your lucky stars you've been OK up til now. You'll feel so much better once you get this Achilles Heel taken care of.

...Lighting The Water On Fire Since '04 duramaxxed's Avatar
    +1
    It's only 3 Bolts to get the SC Out. It's actually quite easy.

Just do it now before they go and Cost you ALOT more Money than just the Price of the Washers and maybe Labor to have them Installed.

+1
    It's only three bolts? I removed my buddies charger off his RXT, how easier is it?

Quote Originally Posted by cigarlust View Post
    It's only three bolts? I removed my buddies charger off his RXT, how easier is it?
    Same as the RXT, three bolts. Still that one on top that's a bitch, though.

+1
    Where do I get the sockets to get those f'd up bolts off the charger? I went to harbor freight and got the male set, but I can't find the female set. I know I can change my oil filter now...

Quote Originally Posted by cigarlust View Post
    Where do I get the sockets to get those f'd up bolts off the charger? I went to harbor freight and got the male set, but I can't find the female set. I know I can change my oil filter now...
    I recently picked up a female set at Autozone.

...Lighting The Water On Fire Since '04 duramaxxed's Avatar
    +1
    Any Hardware / Automotive Store should have them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information