Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Lake Lanier Georgia, or Eastern Tennessee ?

Living on the East Coast of Central Florida , I'm getting tired of sweating out the 6 month hurricane season every year. Last year we got hammered by 2 storms and now I spend too much time checking to see what is happening in the tropics and where the latest tropical depression is. I'm thinking of hauling ass to an inland lake front location. I had been looking at some of the lakes in Tennessee and Georgia. Does anyone on this forum live at or have any knowledge on these 2 locations?
    Lake Lanier looks nice as it is within a reasonable distance to Atlanta. Norris Lake, Lake Cherokee and Watts Bar Lake in TN also look interesting.

Richard

Not sure about those but I can vouche for Center Hill lake in the Nashville, TN area.

One of the most beautiful lakes I've seen. It has a blue/green clear water that looks almost tropical. The sides of the cliffs have waterfalls and creeks run off the edge. There are a couple of 200 foot waterfalls you can pull up to.
    http://www.smithvilletn.com/lake/index.htm
    http://www.mtsu.edu/~yelverto/centerhill.html

Richard
    I live 10 miles from lake lanier and have been riding there for 12 years.
    on lanier you have a wide verity of riding conditions from open water rough, to back cove glass.If jumping wakes are your thing lanier has that too,lots of BIG boats. If you like I can e-mail you some pictures.

I usually ride on Lake Chickamauga, sometimes Nickajack, I been to WattsBar once...cant really say much about WattsBar since I've only been there once and didnt ride but about 30-45 mins.

Jay

+1
    Kinchyle; I heard that Center hill was nice. I like the idea of clear water. Getting tired of the stained lakes here in FL with zero visability. Center Hill is only like 15,000 acres, isn't it. Are there any marinas or restaurants on the lake?

USS RXT; I would appreciate it if you could mail me the pics. I found a decent looking lakefront house on Lanier (on the web) It is in the Gainesville area...actually north of there, where the lake is narrower. Nice dock with a sundeck, but the property slope was so steep you would have to be 1/2 mountain goat to get down to it. How is the water quality....any visability? Or is it muddy ?

05RXPnoob; Lake Chickamauga is the lake just south of Watts Bar...right? Someone said you can boat all the way to the Gulf from there. Is that true? Is the water clear or muddy?

Thanks for the help guys !!

Richard

Yea Watts Bar is just north of Lake Chickamauga on the TN River...Im not sure about going to the gulf from here, I know its goes through Alabama but past that I dont know.

Lake=mostly muddy
    River=pretty clear

My dad has a TVA Engineering Dam/Hydroplant/Lock map book that has all the lakes rivers around here, Paducah Kentucky->Knoxville TN->Lauderdale Alabama->some Mississippi, I think it has almost all/or a good bit of the TN river. So if you need, I can scan some maps for you.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by way2fast
    Kinchyle; I heard that Center hill was nice. I like the idea of clear water. Getting tired of the stained lakes here in FL with zero visability. Center Hill is only like 15,000 acres, isn't it. Are there any marinas or restaurants on the lake?

USS RXT; I would appreciate it if you could mail me the pics. I found a decent looking lakefront house on Lanier (on the web) It is in the Gainesville area...actually north of there, where the lake is narrower. Nice dock with a sundeck, but the property slope was so steep you would have to be 1/2 mountain goat to get down to it. How is the water quality....any visability? Or is it muddy ?

05RXPnoob; Lake Chickamauga is the lake just south of Watts Bar...right? Someone said you can boat all the way to the Gulf from there. Is that true? Is the water clear or muddy?

Thanks for the help guys !!

Richard
    http://www.smithvilletn.com/lake/
    Center Hill Lake is a 64 mile long reservoir consisting of 415 miles of shoreline, and 18,200 acres of deep, pure water for many species of fish. Center Hill Dam is on the Caney Fork River.

Nearly all of the shoreline is undeveloped and natural. Center Hill Lake is owned and managed by the federal government through the US Army Corps of Engineers. There are 3 gorgeous waterfalls and many excellent places to hike, swim, and camp. Also on the lake are 8 marinas, 5 restaurants, 1 state park, 9 Army Corps recreation areas, and the Joe L. Evins Appalachian Center for the Crafts.

Cool thing about Nashville area is I have Center Hill not but an hour away. Tennesse River/Kentucky lake 1.5 hour. Piercy Priest 1 hour. Cumberland river/downtown access 20 minutes.

I've lived on the beach for 20 so years and this is my first time living off the beach and I love it.

Here are some Nashville area pics.

They have HUGE boats on Center Hill that you can ride wakes. Alot of country stars like Alan Jackson.

Tennessee River, cumberland river and old hickory lake have the barges. I have seen 10 barges lined up using 2 towboats pushing 5 each side by side. They put up about 6-7 foot smooth wakes. You can pull up on one and stay on the lip they are so smooth.

I'm going to get a good picture one of these days. They are scary!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_4001_756.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	750.4 KB 
ID:	741   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_3913_812.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	881.8 KB 
ID:	742   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_3866_109.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	743   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_3846_131.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	722.1 KB 
ID:	744   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_3885_664.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	985.2 KB 
ID:	745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_3900_120.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	746  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_3988_175.jpg 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	747   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_3941_691.jpg 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	748  

+1
    that's a beautiful riding area.

Click this for more pics
    http://images.google.com/images?q=ce...r=&sa=N&tab=wi

then click the image and full size image.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information