2004 MSX 110 charging problem

Hi Guys,
    I was given a 2004 MSX 110 with 17 hours a couple of years ago. The gentleman that gave it to me thought that the motor was locked up but was only the pump housing corroded so bad that the engine would not even turn over.

After replacing the pump housing with a stainless unit and a Nujet 6.5 Impeller,the Ski started and ran great. I have had the same problems that other folks have had with the waste gate, (Waste gate solenoid robust unit from Weber), Thanks Randy,

Air leak around the ETB housing, (bolts loose) and almost pulled what little hair i have out over MAP sensors.. Have been reading the forms now for 2 years now and have picked up a lot of very helpful information, from Jay, K447, Desperado and others. You Guys know your stuff about these ski's.

My Problem is running i have 14.7 to 15.3 volts at the regulator connection. I have 12.7 volts at the other end of the plug going to the regulator. You can pull the Fuse and get 14.7 to 15.3 but when you put the fuse back in voltage drops to 12.7.

Do you have any thoughts?

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What voltage do you have at the battery with the engine running?

Does that voltage change as engine RPM goes up?

At the battery 12.5 12.7 running. Even tried to run two jumper wires from the regulator to the batery with the same result.
    14.7 15.1 disconnected 12.5 12.7 when you hooked the jumpers up with the engine running at any RPM.

Please Help,
    Have had this problem for sometime now and would love to get to the bottom of it.
    Voltage comming from the regulator is 14.5 -14.7 at 3400 out of water in reverse.
    Hooked to battery voltage drops to 12.5-12.7 at the same RPM.

Checked fuse, positive and negitive splices all look and check good.
    jumper wires from regulator direct to battery, same results.
    Puchased new regulator from weber, 1.35 volts and smoking hot, took it out.

Could this be a stator problem? If so does anyone know how to check it.
    Have looked and searched the forms ut can not find anything.

With all the help getting the correct impeller on tis machine other than this problem.

Any suggestions would be helpfull.
    2004 msx 110

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I am not a Weber engine guy, and have not deeply studied the electrical system, but is it possible the voltage regulator itself is bad?

Thanks for the reply 447, i thought that the new regulator may be bad but they will not replce it with another one.
    No more purchases from them!! Seems funny the old one works until you connect it to the battery,and he new one will fry your hand and will only put out 1.3 Volts.

Again Thanks

HI MSX addict - I'm no expert - I leave the best advice to the folks like Kosh and K447 etc - they are your best advisors - but I have also just resolved a voltage regulator problem which might throw some light for you.

The figures you suggest with the old regulator sound correct to me. In open circuit mode (I presume you are measuring the voltage from the alternator without a battery connected) the voltage will rise to abnormal levels because there is almost no load I think the regulator needs some kind of load to operate correctly – otherwise the voltage will increase even further to the levels you suggest.

(I was actually getting voltages in excess of 15.5 volts across my battery - because even with the battery connected the voltage regulator on mine had failed in a “short circuit” mode i.e. the alternator/regulator was pumping current into the battery all the time).

When you connect the battery there now IS a good load which is draining current from the alternator/regulator and is being used to charge the battery. Consequently the voltage will drop like you have said – indicating the battery is now charging. I would expect the battery voltage to rise through the charging process until it reaches about 14.5 volts.

I would be more interested in finding out what is happening when the battery is fully charged.

With a fully charged battery (with the engine having been off for at least 2 hours and/or any battery charger disconnected) the voltage is likely to be about 13.0 volts across the battery terminals. Turning the engine on at this pint should see the voltage regulator coming into full operation and not letting the voltage rise above about 14.5 volts. Polaris actually stipulate the voltage should NOT be any more than 14.7 volts.

So its sounds to me like your original regulator may be o.k. – but you need to run the engine or charge the battery until it is fully charged.

As for your other regulator oh dear oh dear it sounds completely knackered – what a pity the suppliers won’t take it back – I’d publish their details here so nobody uses them again ..

Anyways there is my tuppence worth – good luck!

+1
    Attached is the wiring diagramme, resonably straight forward, not much to go wrong.

I have heard of the regulators going bad in the Weber set up but not the alternator.
    You could megger the windings to check the insulation resistance integrity.

How is the regulator looking for corrosion?

I can understand the supplier on the regulator non replacement, its unfortunate if it was faulty to start with, but most have a non return policy as fitting these to a faulty circuit may indeed have blown it up (unlikly with the protection built in but possible)

Another test left of field, try another battery.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for the information Kosh and seamanayr.
    I have the complete service manual thanks to you guys placing it on the site, not very informative when it comes down to the charging system. As for the battery, i have put a regular battery and now have a new sealed unit in the machine. Running in open water battery last about 2 hours and is dead (not charging at all) battery light comes on and you had better be close to the hill or your out of luck.

Will keep checking tomorrow and let you know what i find out, don't get to play much durring the week.

Thanks again

Thread Information