Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What mods next? Any thoughts appreciated

I currently have a stage 1 set up minus the free flow and the solas 13/22r prop but I am in the process of changing that. I just added the VX plate with Jim's magic. I got the extended warranty, so I am hoping for additional mods that I can easily remove and not be detected if I have to take it in for warranty. I would love a reflash but I know that could cause trouble possibly at the dealership. Any suggestions? Is a supercharger wheel easy to swap out? I saw that It can add a couple pounds of boost and still keep stock intercooler. It is sad, but I thought I would be happy with just a stage 1. Modding is an addiction! Any thoughts? Thanks.
    Last edited by chuckbatts; 05-22-2011 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Spelling

Going back a few short years I remember constantly hitting the rpm limit and/or boost limit. Things are much easier now.

If you don't have an issue with the RPM, you could use what is essentially a clamp to allow a little more boost depending on the rest of your setup. That should allow you to get a small gain in boost and not necessarily change anything else. Slippery slope though, I would suggest a low boost wheel as well to maximize the benefit. As long as you are careful and follow instruction the wheels are pretty easy to change out. The only real issue is the possability of the shaft snapping.

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1538

BTW, we were running C3 wheels with the stock ECU and limits. At the time we had to use a powershot to get the boost and now that is not necessary.

+1
    Don't bother adding a new SC with the stock ecu. The boost limiter will shut you down. A reflash seems like a good mod for you and I don't think the dealer would be able to tell unless they took the ski out on the water. IMO with your current mods and a properly tuned prop, you should be around 75mph+

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Don't bother adding a new SC with the stock ecu. The boost limiter will shut you down. A reflash seems like a good mod for you and I don't think the dealer would be able to tell unless they took the ski out on the water. IMO with your current mods and a properly tuned prop, you should be around 75mph+
    75 mph with a stock rev limit?

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    And stock Wheel?

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckbatts View Post
    I currently have a stage 1 set up minus the free flow and the solas 13/22r prop but I am in the process of changing that. I just added the VX plate with Jim's magic. I got the extended warranty, so I am hoping for additional mods that I can easily remove and not be detected if I have to take it in for warranty. I would love a reflash but I know that could cause trouble possibly at the dealership. Any suggestions? Is a supercharger wheel easy to swap out? I saw that It can add a couple pounds of boost and still keep stock intercooler. It is sad, but I thought I would be happy with just a stage 1. Modding is an addiction! Any thoughts? Thanks.
    Chuck, welcome to my world. I've been modding the crap out of mine with the same mind set of " If something breaks, I'll just swap it back to stock". I purchased a separate reflashed ECU so I could change it back. I believe they plug into your system the same way a car dealership does so be careful about just reflashing yours. As for the S/C wheel, I'm getting ready to install an ET low boost wheel. Simple to change out as Shobiz was saying, just follow the torque specs carefully. My biggest hang up is going to be the intercooler. The OEM one is already undersized IMHO. Any more boost or advances in timing and your looking at heat soak. I'm buying the Frozen boost type 14 and installing it after the Holiday ( along with the wheel ). The I/C is going to be a pain in the ass to change back, if need be.

If you can swing it, go with a second ECU and send it in for the R-3. It opens the door for many other mods. If cost is a problem, stick with the wheel and boost clamp or Power shot. You'll need a taller prop for either, so keep that in mind also.

Your so right that modding is addicting, I was in you exact shoes just a few short weeks ago. Check out my thread and you'll see what I mean.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...e-lost-my-mind!
    Also, you can do the Free flow with the noise" mod. It really helps.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...se#post1337709

Hope this helps, Chad

+1
    A dealer could plug in there computer and tell if its been reflashed
    imo id say buy a boost clamp a c3-11 or et low boost wheel( i have one for sale if interested)and a sharft of ur choice they would take under 1hr to swap out if u wanted to take it back to ur dealer
    have a look in the f/s section u should be able to pick up somthings in there

Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    Going back a few short years I remember constantly hitting the rpm limit and/or boost limit. Things are much easier now.

If you don't have an issue with the RPM, you could use what is essentially a clamp to allow a little more boost depending on the rest of your setup. That should allow you to get a small gain in boost and not necessarily change anything else. Slippery slope though, I would suggest a low boost wheel as well to maximize the benefit. As long as you are careful and follow instruction the wheels are pretty easy to change out. The only real issue is the possability of the shaft snapping.

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1538

BTW, we were running C3 wheels with the stock ECU and limits. At the time we had to use a powershot to get the boost and now that is not necessary.
    What has changed to allow you to run the clamp and a low boost wheel on a stock ECU ? I am liking what I am hearing. I have a et low boost wheel sitting in my shed waiting to be installed but I am reluctant because I have a stock ecu. I was thinking boost clamp but I am concerned about leaning out. I always run 98 ron fuel and I have a Watson Racing I/C.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    And stock Wheel?
    Yes and Yes. I think it's more than possible. I run 71.3 @ 7500 with the stock rideplate. So here's my math.... I figure Jim's plate is good for 3mph (conservatively) and a repitch to get me up to 7700 will be good for 1mph which = 75.3.

If the weather didn't suck I could get numbers for you guys today, I much prefer to post fact vs my assumptions. My modded VX plate is bolted up and ready to go. Tomorrow is going to be 70 and small chance of rain so I'll post back with some numbers from the boat ramp. Wish me luck.

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the suggestions. Chad, where did you get the extra computer? I'm guessing that it was probably a small fortune? With my current mods and a reflash with a newly pitched prop, would you think high 70's? With the reflash, do you have to modify anything else or add anything? I didn't know if you have to make adjustments or do something to keep from leaning out. I guess this would be a mild reflash, so probably not?

Has anybody gone with the C1 wheel? I know that the C3 would be best, but I am trying to avoid a new intercooler if possible for now. I was thinking maybe the C1 and boost clamp??? I am sure once I did this, I would later go for the C3 and get more power.

I would be happy with consistent 77mph runs....until I get beat by another ski. Then I will be back to modding.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information