Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy 2001 Polaris virage no crank

The other day I was on the water doing about 35, it was the first time I took it out this year, Rode about 10 miles one way to an island, played for about 30 minutes, cranked up and headed back doin 35 or so and it died in the water. Got it home and started checking things, it's not getting any spark to any of the plugs, so we checked the wires for ohms and what not, everything checked out. The battery is on a charge and we are gettin about 8.3 at the brown wire while turning it over. Checked the coil and it checked out good according to the manual. All the fuses check out good. Just won't crank.

Were thinking about checkin the stator's output using a 9 volt, but it says turn the motor over slowly, is that by hand or by taping the start button? Any help is appreciated!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Hall Effect sensor testing is done by hand, very slow hand turning of crank.

Died while riding? Try bypassing the LR-505 Start/Stop module. Details via my signature links.

Also make sure battery can deliver over 10.6 volts while cranking.

Yeh I hooked a charger up to the battery just to make sure it had atleast 10.6. Still nothing. I can't seem to find on that link how to bypass that module, what all does it do btw?

Ok i found it, and yes we was doing around 35 and it died.
    Is there a certain tool needed to turn the motor over by hand?

I bypassed the module and still gettin no spark at the plugs, think it's the stator? Is there any link to someone testing the hall effect sensor? Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Patawick View Post
    I bypassed the module and still gettin no spark at the plugs, think it's the stator? Is there any link to someone testing the hall effect sensor? Thanks
    Did you hold the Bilge button down while cranking?
    Battery voltage still strong while cranking?

Both spark plugs connected AND metal shells of both spark plugs grounded to engine while cranking?

How do I test old and new domestic red engine CDI, Magneto and Ignition coils?

Ahhh great!!! It worked!! I guess since I was doing one thing trying to bypass it, I forgot to keep watch of the battery and what do you know, hooked the battery to a charger and tried the bypass again and it fired up!

Is there a website you suggest for ordering the module? Thanks a whole lot, you saved me lots of time and money!

+1
    Have a look at the Parts Sources list from my signature links.

A strong battery is a requirement for these engines. If there is any doubt about the internal health of your battery, replace it.

Are the modules interchangeable between different virage motor sizes? Ive got a local guy with a blown motor and hes willing to give me his module, but his isnt a 1200.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Patawick View Post
    Are the modules interchangeable between different Virage motor sizes?

I've got a local guy with a blown motor and he is willing to give me his module, but his isn't a 1200.
    Yes, but the fuel injected engines use a slightly different version (LR-503 instead of LR-505 on the carburetor models).

Your Virage has a 1200 engine? That makes it a Virage TX, even if it doesn't have TX on the side decals

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information