+1

Break in on new motor?

What kind of "break in period" does a new motor require or do. Guys recommend?
    Should I do anything specific for the first how ever many hours on a new motor?
    (951)

Not to steal the thread but to add to this, What should I expect from the first start? Should it be in water or out? I'll be premixing 40:1. Ok to run 40:1 for the first start? also 951

+1
    Hmm...does your ski require premix or does it have 2 separate fill tanks and premix itself?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    ...its gonna smoke like hell and kinda have wet plugs but good for the break in. take it to the water, there is a break in procedure for new engines.

NONE of the engine break-in can be done out of the water!

Proper break-in of your engine is the most critical aspect for determining the longevity and performance of your engine. Engines not properly broken-in will often fail within the first minutes of operation. Ring failure and piston seizure are the most common symptoms of an improper break-in procedure.

If you have a pre-mix system (mixing oil and fuel in the fuel tank), then you should richen the ratio to about 32:1 for the first ten gallons of gas. If you have an injection system (putting oil in a separate oil tank), then you should put 50:1 premix in the fuel tank along with the oil injection system for the first ten gallons of gas.

During the first 10 gallons of gasoline, there should be NO full throttle operation. First idle the engine for about 10 minutes to ensure that the engine is properly warmed-up. Then begin varying the throttle position up and down, up to 20% throttle for a half hour. Then come back and let the engine cool off completely - it should be a good 30 min break. After it cools down, you may now ride it up to 50% throttle for another half hour or so. Then come back again and let it completely cool down again. Now you can go out and ride up to 90% throttle. Continue this for the remainder of the 10 gallons, never holding one throttle position for more than a few seconds. Do not run at a steady throttle position and do not go to 100% throttle. After your first tank of gas, replace your plugs with fresh ones. For the second tank, you may ride normally with one exception - do not hold it at 100% throttle for more than a few seconds. After the second tank of gas, you are completely broken in and may ride anyway you like.

+1
    What's the reason to premix the fuel if it's already an auto mixing system?

Quote Originally Posted by Tturbonegro View Post
    What's the reason to premix the fuel if it's already an auto mixing system?
    I've decided to remove the injection system and mix. Just trying to eliminate any potential failures.

+1
    Gotcha...I was told that my ski has something that sends oil directly to the crank and you can not make up for that by doing your own premix...although i do understand the concept..you know that oil is there if you have to premix other than relying on the system to do it

That's only for rotary valve found on smaller motors. The 951 doesn't have that and only uses injection through the carbs

+1
    Gotcha...is there a thread on link on a write up for converting the 951 to premix, or pros and cons or something..

There's a block off kit sold for around $10.00. You need to remove the magneto cover to remove the pump. Install the block off plate and plug the injection holes located on the manifold that the carbs bolt on to. As far as pros and cons go..You gain reliability and confidence knowing your ski is getting the correct amount of oil and eliminates some possible component failures...That is if always remember to mix. The saying goes "It's one brain fart away from a blown engine" Two big cons are oil consumption and inconvenience. The injection system has variable flow. When idling and at low speeds, there is less oil injected then when at full throttle. This uses about 1 tank of oil per 3 tanks of gas. When premixing, you are always running 40:1 regardless of throttle position which is about 16oz of oil to 5 gallons of gas. Uses more oil and smokes a bit. Some people like to gas and go, but that's not the case with premixing as you always have to mix the oil in with the correct proportions.

Thread Information