Thread: Riding Gear

+1

Riding Gear

I need some suggestions for cooler weather riding gear.

I have been wearing long sleeve quick dry T shirts like under armour under my life jacket and neoprene boots and gloves. These work good to a point but I would like to ride in cooler temps without getting too cold.

I'm trying to avoid a shortie or full wet suit as I don't find them very comfortable. Jet Pilot and Oneill make what looks like a neoprene hoodie that can be worn under or over a life jacket, has anyone used these and do they work like a wet suit ?

Any other suggestions appreciated.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I need some suggestions for cooler weather riding gear.

I have been wearing long sleeve quick dry T shirts like under armour under my life jacket and neoprene boots and gloves. These work good to a point but I would like to ride in cooler temps without getting too cold.

I'm trying to avoid a shortie or full wet suit as I don't find them very comfortable. Jet Pilot and Oneill make what looks like a neoprene hoodie that can be worn under or over a life jacket, has anyone used these and do they work like a wet suit ?

Any other suggestions appreciated.
    I can understand not wanting to wear the typical wet suit due to comfort, but I don't understand a loose fitting garment (hoodie) made of neoprene. From what I rem. from my SCUBA days that neoprene works on the principal that it traps the water next to your body,and your body warms the water - which is why wet suits are designed to fit they way they do. That's not going to happen w/a loose fitting garment; it'll prob. just end up getting you soaked if you have a "wet" ride. A dry ride would be fine, but wet in winter is not good.

You may want to consider some alternate wear - sometimes I wear a pair of light-weight jumper pants for snow skiing w/a waterproof windbreaker. The pants are made of a light-weight gortex and the combo works well. You can find these in snow skiing apparel shops/websites. Or, a cheaper version of the same would be a high end rain suit.

+1
    I have the JP tour coat(hoodie). I bought it to wear over a shorty wetsuit, so if it warms up later in the day I wouldn't be stuck in a hot full suit. They had both JP & Slippery coats where I bought mine & I thought the JP was higher quality. I've never worn it on a wet offshre ride, so I can't comment on how well it repels water before becoming saturated. It'll do a good job of insulating you from the wind without being restrictive. I've worn it on a 35* morning over a shorty suit with wind breaker pants & was plenty warm...well except for my inadequately insualted boots & gloves.

i wear the slippery switch pants. they kinda bead the water off when it sprays up as long as you dont fall in you will be warm. and wear the sea doo boots and sea doo gloves.

+1
    I wear my motorcycle touring suit during the winter. Can have the liner in or out, Wind and water proof. Fits over everything. With the suit I have you don't need to wear alot of layers underneath. There is a huge range of price and quality. I recommend not going for the cheapest if you go this way.

+1
    Thanks for the advice.

I like the idea of the JP hoodie and the Slippery pants.

Being in Canada there are few retailers that stock these types of products where I can see them and try them on.

To clarify I need something to help break the wind while doing the drier type rides in the cooler weather.

+1
    Whatever you wear always consider what is going to happen with it on if you get tossed in the water! Don't need to wear a boat anchor!

Thread Information