Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Supercharger & Intercooler Thoughts

I took my supercharger off last night to get it sent to Jerry for a rebuild. When i bought the ski it had the full RIVA Stage II kit already on it (34 hrs). I began looking at some things and finally realized it had the Gen 1 IC (Vortech stamped on side), and i'm assuming a Gen 1 SC wheel (its grey, not black). If its truly not a Gen 2 wheel i know that i'm getting little to no improvement over stock (1.5lb vs 3lb increase of Gen 2).

I began pondering getting an x charger since its cheaper to buy then rebuilding and changing the wheel in the SC i have now. However, i don't know if my setup it suitable for that or what else i would need to do.

Also, i've read a lot of negative posts about the Gen 1 IC. I dont want my motor to get trashed if this thing starts leaking. The Gen 2 IC is quite expensive in my opinion. I've briefly looked into XS and the Fizzle ICs. I'd like to use my current Riva IC mounting setup and piping if at all possible. What would be the best route to go, and if i went the XS route which IC would be best, type 3 or 9? i don't really know the difference and would someone please provide a link to the correct one?

+1
    Send JFizzleJR a PM. His kit is great maybe he can work something out with you.

+1
    A long time ago I dumped my Gen 1 Riva IC since it had clogged. I replaced it with a type 3, which I think is what JFizzle has in his kit too. The type 3 has 3" air inlet/outlet, so you will also need to buy 3" to 2.75" silicone adapters, but that is it. I pushed on my Riva mounting bracket a bit until the larger IC fit, and re-used my Riva IC tubing as well. BUT, if your IC tubing is the plastic junk, get rid of it and replace it with metal and silicone ... as boost goes higher, the plastic can deform and you will get boost leaks.

+1
    type 3 is the one you want...pm fizzle...you need
    2) 2.75-3.00 couplers
    1) type 3 IC
    2) 3in t bolt clamps...
    Here's a link to my old thread...
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ouplers-to-use
    PS it fits nicely on the gen one bracket and gen one metal pipes.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    A long time ago I dumped my Gen 1 Riva IC since it had clogged. I replaced it with a type 3, which I think is what JFizzle has in his kit too. The type 3 has 3" air inlet/outlet, so you will also need to buy 3" to 2.75" silicone adapters, but that is it. I pushed on my Riva mounting bracket a bit until the larger IC fit, and re-used my Riva IC tubing as well. BUT, if your IC tubing is the plastic junk, get rid of it and replace it with metal and silicone ... as boost goes higher, the plastic can deform and you will get boost leaks.
    +1

metal pipes indeed. Thats awesome news since i'm not a fabricator by any means. should i use the Gen 1 IC until it gives me problems or is there potential to do damage to my engine by running it?

+1
    gen1 intercollers tend to get blocked and restrict water from flowing efficiently... a lot of times your actually losing horsepower prior to having a high temp alarm.... my advice is go ahead and switch out for xs intercooler now before you have overheating problems

Ok i'll begin looking into it. As for my SC which route should I go? It's sitting on the garage floor waiting on me to either send it to Jerry or retire it and replace with an X charger.

Autism Speaks. Its Time To Listen gOt BoOsT's Avatar
    +1
    replace it with a new s/c...my $0.02

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gOt BoOsT View Post
    replace it with a new s/c...my $0.02
    X2...
    I run a gen1 wheel in my wifes ski. And I think it worthless..just saying....
    So, by the time you upgrade to a gen2 wheel and do a full rebuild your exceeded the money too buy a new x charger....
    You can also sell your stock charger to recoup some of the cash...
    Ps: search a thread called (how fast have you been on a stock x charger)
    Y ouwill wish your would have started with the x from day one

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information