97 SL 1050 deal?

I spotted this on craigslist.

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/boa/2393438107.html

Would this be a decent pick up? I have owned Ski's in the past but never a Polaris. What do you all think?

Thanks and this site looks great!

Banned User
    +1
    I would jump all over that if it is in good condition and runs. CDI issue could be done with the ignition update kit for around $325.

+1
    i have a HotSeat cdi for it

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I am going to get in contact with the seller and try to take a look at it. What are some things I need to look closely at? Obviously what kind of shape the hull, seat, etc is in.

What exactly does the hotseat cdi do and will it be easy to get the thing to perform like it should? It should still start without that correct? How much would you be asking for yours 785 lugs? Also, can anyone tell me what exactly the upgrades done it mean and if the oil injection being taken out is a huge deal?

Thanks again all.

i talked to the guy because i was interested in it and he made it seem like theres more wrong with it..look it over good.

Quote Originally Posted by jetski_guy1 View Post
    i talked to the guy because i was interested in it and he made it seem like theres more wrong with it..look it over good.
    What do you mean he made it seem like there was more wrong with it? What all did he say? I haven't had a chance to call him yet.

+1
    I actually went today to check out / buy.... Needs work, Would be good maybee after fixed up, or for parts. IMHO, I passed. figured id give a heads up to a fellow GH'er...be prepared.

+1
    What work does it need ?

+1
    Quite a bit. I saw it and was hoping to get it for a ski when I only wanted to take out one, looks good in the pic, not as much in person drove 4 hrs and came home empty handed.

Its been sitting for 2+yrs and was pretty dirty on the inside, not a big deal could be cleaned up, but wouldn't start with new gas, has a shady repair job on the pump tunnel where there used to be a hole/crack all the way across, primer system that was setup was not right, had a tripple output fuel pump that was screwed thru the side, sponsons on the side were sealed with what looked like construction caulk smeared all around them, definately needed an update kit, start button was missing but would make it try to start if you put something in the right spot to make it crank, needed battery, origonal seat and aftermarket cover were nasty and needed replaced, missing most of the foam inside the hull, bolts all over the inside were very rusty. Decals were all peeling off. Thats what turned me off. . For what I thought it would take to make it relaible and running good I could have bought another SLX

Might have been an ok parts ski, has the VF 1's, and RD intake grate, maybee some good engine and pump parts, but he said he wont part it. Guy was nice and was selling with good motives so im not knocking him, sounds like his mechanic/previous owner sorta pulled one on him when he sold it to him, he said he never even got it running right the whole time he had it.

Could be a good learning experience for someone, but im not that dude. Just figured when i saw this post, I would reply to give a heads up to a fellow GH'er, thats all. Sure he'll find someone to buy it tho at some point.

Thread Information