Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Virage txi...not the tps or emm....what next?

So after replacing the tps with a brand new one, the txi still would not idle on the trailer and would die if I gave it gas. I could feather the throttle and get it to rev but it would stall as it would drop back down to idle. I also couldn't get it to start or restart without dribbling a little gas in the throttle body.

I sent the emm to dfi and just talked to them and they said it checked out fine.....he said he even took it home and dropped it in a ski and it had no issues.

So with a new tps and verified emm, what the hell do I look at next?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Stator and flywheel. Possibly capacitor.

When you get it back, check the voltage on White/Red wire while cranking. I expect it will be below the required 20+ volts DC while cranking (which is why you need to prime it).

If voltage is low on White/Red, then there is a problem with electrical connections, or the stator/flywheel has a problem.

Check the capacitor. After engine shuts down from running, voltage on White/Red should slowly decay. If the voltage drops rapidly then the large capacitor may have a loose connection, or need replacement (rare, but possible).

BTW, did DFI mention whether there were any trouble codes set in the EMM?

I'm still using my spare Genesis emm while I'm waiting for the good one to be shipped back from DFI so I'm not going to do anything drastic until I verify I get the same results with the Virage EMM.

-I'm only getting about 17v while cranking but do have a solid 40v when running.
    -After running, the voltage slowly drops from 40 down to a couple volts over about a minute....I believe the capacitor is working.

-I found today that it eventually will start by itself (no priming the TB) after cranking about 10 seconds.

-Still hard to rev up and then usually dies as it comes back down to idle.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    not a fuel pump issue??

I don't think it's a pump problem. I had a loaner fuel pressure gauge a few weeks ago and it checked out fine. I did clamp off the return line just for kicks and it didn't change anything. I'll probably go pick up the gauge again just to double check.

I'm fairly sure the problem is the low voltage to the injectors...but I don't know what's causing it. I really expected the EMM to be bad but DFI says otherwise.

I really hope it's not the stator. Not only because I don't want to have to swap it but because I'll end up robbing it from the spare Genesis and I've been avoiding that until I decide if I'm going to part it out or not.

+1
    You'll find something else to buy if you part it

I was planning on just selling it complete....but I'm afraid I'll end up spending more on parts that I could have robbed off of it than I'll actually for the whole ski!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
    I don't think it's a pump problem. I had a loaner fuel pressure gauge a few weeks ago and it checked out fine. I did clamp off the return line just for kicks and it didn't change anything. I'll probably go pick up the gauge again just to double check.

I'm fairly sure the problem is the low voltage to the injectors...but I don't know what's causing it...

I really hope it's not the stator...
    Clamping the fuel return line did not change the fuel pressure (it should have) or did not improve the engine problem?

Good EMM but weak injector voltage points towards the flywheel and/or stator. You would not be the first person to open up the flywheel housing and discover debris from damaged magnets.

It isn't that hard to get the flywheel cover off and look for metal dust or debris. Use small mirror and light to look around the lower area under the flywheel. Next step would be removing the flywheel.

So I figured I'd update this now that I apparently have it running...and the fact that I've never been one to hide my stupidity.

I started tearing down my parts Genesis i, but wanted a video of it running before I did....so I went to put the EMM back in it. That's when I discovered that I had a Virage TXi EMM in my hand....which means the Genesis EMM must be in the Virage.

I had put the Genesis one in the Virage just to see if I could get it to start while the Virage one was being checked out by DFI. Apparently when I got the Virage one back, I pulled the Genesis one out and then put it right back in...somehow mistaking it for the Virage EMM.

Needless to say, I put the Virage EMM back in the Virage and was getting just a tad under 20v to the injectors while cranking...but still no fire. It would start if I dumped fuel in the TB though. Check the schrader, no pressure. Jumped the fuel pump was getting power, so I pulled it and found that it was bad. Not spinning at all. I put the spare Genesis pump in it and it cranked up almost immediately.

I have it all buttoned back up and am going to try to take it to the lake this afternoon...hoping for the best!

What's weird is, I put the Genesis EMM back in the Genesis and it cranked right up too!

Cliff's notes:
    I'm an idiot.
    An '02 Virage will not run with a '99 Genesis EMM.

Update:

Took her to the ramp this evening to go for a quick test ride. Started her up on the trailer and noticed I was getting a "check engine" message. Probably something I did while trying to fix the other apparently non-existent problem. I let it idle for a few minutes, rev'd it a bit and it all seemed fine. Before taking it off the trailer, I popped the seat just to double check the engine temp and to look for any other problems.....and that's when I noticed a giant stream of water pissing out of the manifold. Apparently I lost the plug that covers the flush hole....or maybe I robbed the flush kit for another ski. Not sure. Either way, can't ride it like that! I tried to steal the plug off the other Virage on the trailer but only had a cheap pair of pliers in the truck and they weren't doing the trick.

Soooo....back home I went, without having taken her for a ride yet. It's too dark to turn around and go back out now. Gonna try it again tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information