Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How much gas for closed course?

It has been 15 years since I raced closed course last. Back then I raced a 96 xp and you ran it with a full tank to keep the front end down to make it turn. I now have a 09 FZR and until a week ago never thought I would ever race CC again. One week ago is when I found out that the second round of the watercross tour was coming to my hometown. I use to could only dream of something like this. So even though I am not ready I am going to race anyway. For those of you that race FZR's CC how much fuel do you run with? I just put some R&D sponsons on and put the washer in the back of my Jim's VX plate. Considering going back to the stock plate. I pretty much have the stage 1 kit minus prop. Any other suggestions that I could do to the FZS before this weekend would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Charles

Hey I have a fzs stage3 pretty much with the eception of a lowboost wheel I love jims plate but I put the stock plate back on to race I had someone shave off the plate to make it a little more like jims plate it handles much better on the track. I like having the tank a little over 1/2 just under 3/4 tank it just keeps my nose down. What class are you racing and where is the race? well good luck.

+1
    For closed course I would seriously consider an R&D plate shimmed down, or possibly a WORX plate. I see a TON of closed course guys run the WORX sponsons too. What class are you racing in? Stock, limited, open, and pro/am, or amateur?

Being that I am 43 and could donate my body to science fiction I see the Vet class in my future. Maybe if I take an extra Geritol Saturday morning I might try the Expert class also. (Glutton for punishment). The race is in Montgomery, Al. It is on the river in Downtown Montgomery. There has been a rebirth to bussiness down there and it is pretty cool. Not sure how the starts are going to work out or the pits, but should be interesting.

+1
    I normally run with just over 1/4 of a tank. The buzzer comes on sometimes. The FZr rides high. You need a drop nozzle. Expert class is a limited class. So your looking at 80+ MPH boats.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cut2please View Post
    Being that I am 43 and could donate my body to science fiction I see the Vet class in my future. Maybe if I take an extra Geritol Saturday morning I might try the Expert class also. (Glutton for punishment). The race is in Montgomery, Al. It is on the river in Downtown Montgomery. There has been a rebirth to bussiness down there and it is pretty cool. Not sure how the starts are going to work out or the pits, but should be interesting.
    I wish I was going this weekend. Just lock the hull down as much as you can or you will really struggle in the turns. I think with the exhaust, you have to run in limited, but might be able to get away with it in stock if they don't notice. I would race amateur if you want to try and be competitive at all.

A twin prop would help handling and turning a TON, but not sure if you can get one in there and dialed in before the weekend. Make sure and give us a full report of it! Can't wait to see the results.

I have the FF exhaust. Is that legal for stock class? I have heard it is not. I have a 71 mph boat with the Jims plate, probably 69 or 70 with stock plate. Don't think I would fair to well against 80 mph boats.

+1
    I don't think a FF exhaust is stock legal but I'm sure someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

FF is not legal in Stock Class. You gotta run Limited. You don't need the fastest boat....you need the boat that can get to the first buoy and handles the best. Maybe beginners class since it has been 15 years.

I would do amateur limited you are still going to see some 80 mph boats but they will be slower in the turns. I recomended the stock plate only because it is one race but if u are racing more then I would go with what hitman suggested. But the gas issue I personally like keeping the nose down with the extra weight because I dont have a drop nozzle. Give your self some credit I am 37 just started racing again this year after taking 5 years off. My last ski I raced was a gp1200 and that is a totally different ride. I am racing amateur Limited and I have gotten a first and a second. I dont think I will be ready for expert class for a few months.
    Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information