Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

'93 SL750 ...... To Live or part out?!?!?

Through some horse trading with a neighbor I've acquired a '93 SL750.

The bad:
    1) Crank is shot but is a useable core
    2) 2 jugs have surface rust and measure 72mm. One just needs bored and measures 70mm
    3) No pistons
    4) Only 2 good wrist pins
    5) Starter is gone

The good:
    1) Look at the pictures. The seat is dirty with no major tears. Handlebar pad is pristine. Hood is a little faded, but a light sanding and clear coat will bring it right back
    2) Has several engine goodies: V-Force reeds and cages, reed spacers, Ocean Pro F/A's.
    3) have a 148mm stator in perfect condition but need to get pump shoe and tail cone.
    4) Stator and flywheel seems to be good.
    5) All fasteners are accounted for.
    6) 9....yep NINE.....perfectly good 750 heads
    7) 2 Ocean Pro Vortex heads that have damage from rings/bearing pieces bouncing around but should be useable.

So, just doing some rough estimates I'm looking between $500 to $600 to bring this engine back to life. Is this ski worth it? I don't intend to keep this ski. I already have my SLT's and a boat and the really don't have a good reason for a 3rd ski. So, if I fix this ski it would be for the express purpose of selling it.

When all is said and done, is this ski worth messing with? I'm thinking no because a ski this old might bring around $1,000. That's going to be an awful lot of work for maybe $400 profit.

I hate to not restore the ski because of the excellent hull condition. But, I have to put a value on my time. Am I better off just parting out the ski? Please help because I really can't decide what I should do.

KJ
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	93SL750_1.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	240031

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	93SL750_2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	240032

+1
    [QUOTE=johnsonmtz;1701739]When all is said and done, is this ski worth messing with? I'm thinking no because a ski this old might bring around $1,000. That's going to be an awful lot of work for maybe $400 profit.

I think that you answered your own question. And that is of course if you have done the math right, that's a lot of time and effort dude. Part it out and you will make over 400 and you don't need to build anything, my 2 cents.

Banned User
    +1
    I guess it depends on how much you enjoy the work. If it were me, I would ask around and see if anyone I know wants to get into a ski, and if I found someone who wanted it I would agree on a price first and then fix it for them. Get them into a ski for cheap. I know I enjoy bringing these things back from the dead. How much are the good usable parts worth? It sounds like the engine is no good, I would think thats where most of the money to be made is.

If I got this in a trade and had two SLT's I used, I would keep it around. Doesn't sound like you have any money invested in acquiring it so there's no immediate need to unload it. As old as these skis are I know I have to search around for parts every year. Keeping it around for parts could keep you stocked up for quite a while!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahN View Post
    If I got this in a trade and had two SLT's I used, I would keep it around.......for parts
    I was thinking about that same thing. Keep some of the parts that I may need in the future (heads, reeds, spacers, etc) and sell off the rest.

The '96SLT780 will stay bone stock and just be a cruiser for the wife.

My '94 SLT750 is going to be my real play ski. Right now I have a PSI dry pipe I'm going to install on the SLT750 and I already have a TDR water box. What I'm thinking is I could install the reed spacers, V-Force reeds & cages, Ocean Pro F/A's, and Ocean Pro head on the SLT750 in addition to the PSI pipe. I'm not sure what kind of boost to expect from all those parts I already have a 780 F/A on that ski, so the Ocean Pros may flow a little better but I doubt that it would be anything significant. But the combination of the pipe, cleaner breathing of the spacers and reeds, and maybe the head will give it more punch

So yeah, I could use some of the parts, there would still be some left over to sell, and I would have a pristine hull to sell as well. I guess the main thing is I don't need an extra hull laying in the garage....in fact, I'd like to have it gone ASAP. That's kind of why I was thinking of fixing it and selling.

Hmmmm, I think I'm leaning more towards parting out, keeping the go fast parts (and a few other spares), and selling the hull.

KJ

+1
    Here are some pics of the goodies that came with the SL750. It looks like the V-force reeds have chips and cracks, so they would need new petals. The cages and reed spacers look fine.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Those are V Force 1's. Good luck finding the petals to fit those.....

+1

Ocean Pro Vortex Heads

So, how do these heads look? The first one looks like all 3 cylinders had grenaded and the second looks like the CEN is the only that had problems. Do these look useable? Is the Ocean Pro going to give me enough pop to be worth using them?

First Head:

Second Head

+1

Ocean Pro F/A's

Finally, the Ocean Pro flame arrestors. Their in very good shape and would probably flow a little more air than a 780 stock F/A.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Those are V Force 1's. Good luck finding the petals to fit those.....
    Aha. So it's either find someone with petals and they're willing to part with them or find someone that wants to buy the cages? I also have a complete set of stock cages with stuffers and a bunch of extra OEM petals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information