Thumbs up 99 xl1200 problem

Hello all, I am new to the forum but have learned alot from browsing. I have a extensive background in performance boats but am fairly new to the waverunner world. I picked up a 99 XL 1200 last summer that was running good. The first time out this spring it ran good for about 10 minutes until I stopped on the beach and then wouldnt restart. I had a buddy tow me in, took it home, and it fired right up on the hose. Took it out again next day, did the same thing. Ran great until stopped. Pulled a plug wire and checked for a spark and had nothing. After it sat for about 30 minutes, fired right up, ran great again until I shut it down, then wouldnt restart. Again no spark until it cooled down. It seems like something is getting hot and not allowing it to spark. I talked to a local mechanic and he thought maybe the stator. I was not sure since it runs like a top until shut down. It seems like something in the electronics is getting heat soak and is fine once cool. What should I be looking for first? Does it sound like something caused by the stator or something in the coils or rectifier? Is there a temperature sensor somewhere that could be going bad? Thanks for any help. Look forward to learning many new things with the forum.

+1
    possible problems:
    -water temp sensor rear/bottom of pipe
    -start stop/lanyard switch
    -CDI module

Hum, you report it won't start after riding and then stopping. Since it's not quitting while running but not starting once in the water and knowing the xl 1200 I'm steering away from an electrical issue.

Honestly I find it difficult to see spark anytime. So are you sure can you see the spark when you first start up.

1200's are know to be difficult starters and I've learned it takes a special kind of touch. Of course they are easier to start on land. So if you are starting before you put in the water and then immediatelly restarting you have a carb that is already primed.

Next time this happens pull a plug and shoot some wd 40 in a cylinder. Many xl 1200 end up having a primer installed.

My ski 1200 xlt can have difficulty starting after running but I have tracked this down to the carberatur spindle sticking (leaving throttle half open). This only happens after it runs for a while and is a problem with these yammi's. I guess the theory is the carb not having cooling fuel run through it soaks up the heat from the motor and then binds. Apparently yammi sells an insulating kit to help prevent this. And some good mechanics like bill can modify the car spindle.

Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    +1
    First: Welcome to the forum board. This place is a great resource for information, and it is full of good people that love our sport and go WAY out of their way to help other members when they can!

Second: I'd take the advice of WFO. The man makes his living running a repair shop. Getting advise from him here free feels a little like cheating. Shogan might be right about the hard starting issue of a carbed ski if they need a cleaning, but a no spark issue is definitely electrical. You might also check the sensor that is threaded into the #1 cyl. That is the eng overheat temp sensor and can also shut off the ecm. I used to have this same problem with my yamaha superjet until I replaced that sensor.

Also... Put a post in the newcomers section and tell a few folks about yourself or your experience/desire for jetskis.

Good Luck!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball View Post
    First: Welcome to the forum board. This place is a great resource for information, and it is full of good people that love our sport and go WAY out of their way to help other members when they can!

Second: I'd take the advice of WFO. The man makes his living running a repair shop

Joe
    Absolutely as I'm truely not a mechanic.

Further I would agree if you have a no spark issue then unquestionably is an electrical isssue.

Electrical issues can be boogers to track down. So I"m kinda saying make sure that's the issue before you start chasing it. Squirt some wd40 in the cylinders when it won't start and see if it starts. Because my XLT 1200 took me 3 weekends on how to figure out how to start it once I got it in the water. And my experience was almost to the T of what you are describing (get on ride stop have to tow in get home start). and I read many posts about this particular ski to know that it's notorious for this issue.

I can't see a spark ever, guess my eyes suck. I keep looking for some kind of spark detector at auto store because you guys that can see or not see sparks have something on me.

Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    +1
    Put your finger on the the end of the park plug while you hit the starter button. You WILL know if there is a spark! Just make sure that you don't have a pacemaker, or you might be resetting it! (ha ha)

keep us posted as to what the problem is!

Thread Information