Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Mustang GT guys - Need help getting started

So I have the bug to pick up a Mustang GT. The car will be used as a summer driver.

Budget wise I am looking @ spending less than 10K. It seems a good clean 2000 to 2003 fits.

What would you look for ?
    What would you stay away from ?

Go older and do mild repairs myself ?

+1
    I'd stay away from furds altogether. They tend to claim the shop as their second home. Just my opinion

Sent from the Evo

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    do you want stick or automatic, coupe or convertible

10K will buy you a decent amount. if you are looking for a clean good summer car, i would look for something out of the southeast or southwest united states.... unless you find something that has been garage kept, chances are in the metro Chicago area its gonna be subjected to salt and rust.

basic bolt ons are going to be a cold air intake, headers (shorty or long tube. either way you will have a choice of either catted or off road mid pipes) then an exhaust. most of the manufacturers have sound bites on their website for the different exhaust tones created by the different types of mufflers. and with this you are probably looking at a hand held programmer as well.

then you can get into doing minor suspension work. basic springs and sway bars for all around handling or go more involved if you are looking at more street strip with upper and lower control arms, springs, shocks and struts.

if its a stick car your probably gonna want to inspect the clutch if its too good of a deal then it probably needs the clutch replaced....

factor in for a set of tires as unless its owned by a responsible adult the tires are probably going worn or slightly bald. if its got new tires check the fender wells for rubber. unless they are meticulous in the detail job if the car has been beat on there will be rubber in the rear fender wells.

if you go older. you can get into a fox body (79-93) body style for about half to a third of your budget and then have room for mods. there is a considerable aftermarket for the 5.0 motor. the 4.6L 2V motor has a significant following as well but in terms of bang for the buck the 5.0L is the best value.

+1
    Contact member Sconti Stellari he has one he is selling very nice stang. His name is Chris or contact me for his number. Thanks Lee

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Region8Ultra250X View Post
    do you want stick or automatic, coupe or convertible
    I am wanting a 5 speed coupe.

Appreciate the thoughts on a SW or SE car. I am sure I am better off traveling for one since appearence is more important to me than HP right now. Of course all the ones here say garage kept but more often than not they are outside allot.

Of all the Fox body model years is there any year better than another ?

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    87-93 are the one piece headlights.... the 79-86 i believe are the four eyed models....

buy something you are happy with. dont buy something just because you want it.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1306383417381

thats a list of all the cars with in 200 miles of your location under 10K that are V8 stick cars.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Region8Ultra250X View Post
    you can get into a fox body (79-93) body style for about half to a third of your budget and then have room for mods. there is a considerable aftermarket for the 5.0 motor. the 4.6L 2V motor has a significant following as well but in terms of bang for the buck the 5.0L is the best value.
    +1, as stated above a fox body will give you the most $ left over for mods. The 5.0 is really hard to beat as far availability and affordable aftermarket parts. I'm just wrapping a fresh rebuild for my '96 GT (4.6 2v) and the $$ would have gone a lot farther in my '90 Notchback. Another site to check out would be racingjunk.com

Keep us posted

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Coohandluke, it is obvious you are running your post count up. Expect a Mod to adjust it for you.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluke View Post
    mustang notch with a lsx motor. life is good.
    Agree....

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    Stay away from 99-00, plastic intakes will crack. 01+ got a better tranny also.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information