Post Advice on where to start troubleshooting????

I have 1996 GTX that I bought a few weeks ago. First couple rides went well but ran into some issue this past weekend. At idle up to about 4000 RPM's she sputters and runs "rough", kinda like a miss is the best way I know to describe it? From 4000 to 6000 RPM's (roughly 3/4 throttle) the engine seems fine and she runs about 40-42 MPH. When I go ahead and give her the throttle (full throttle) she kinda chuggs (misses, boggs) but never dies.... - just won't really go until I back off the throttle and get it back down to about 6000 RPM's???? After doing some reading here on the forum I have a couple ideas but would like to know what you guys think. My thoughts are to first clean the carbs and replace the fuel lines. I may go ahead and clean/rebuild the RAVE valves while I'm working on it? Not that this is related to the problems I'm having but I'll probaly replace the wear ring and the implellar (OEM) while I'm working on things? I was told by the previous owner that the last time he took it in to the dealer for servicing the dealer told him he wasn't too far away from needing a top end. I hoping on waiting until this winter to do that? Any advice, ideas, thoughts and/or suggestions from you guys will be greatly appreciated. This is my first PWC but I have owned and worked on dirtbikes most of my life and still own a Yamaha Rhino that I do all of the work and service on so I'm hoping that I can handle getting my ski running again???? I am a little nervous about digging into it though....

Replace the fuel lines ASAP. Don't run it until you do that or get ready to empty your bank account. Clean the carbs, fuel filter, fuel selector. Rave valves could be not opening or stuck causing the bog up high, but I'm not entirely sure on that. Wear ring issue would have the ski revving out and barely going anywhere. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by lnxmad View Post
    Replace the fuel lines ASAP. Don't run it until you do that or get ready to empty your bank account. Clean the carbs, fuel filter, fuel selector. Rave valves could be not opening or stuck causing the bog up high, but I'm not entirely sure on that. Wear ring issue would have the ski revving out and barely going anywhere. Good luck!

thanks for the info lnxmad. I'll start the fuel line replacement and clean the fuel filters and carbs. I'll check the valves as well. thanks again.

yes do all that, frankly it should have been done before your first ride, especially the carbs, check everything and make sure the returns are clear too... and i'm not sure if your inject or premix... but thats another thread.

report back after you see results.

Quote Originally Posted by lnxmad View Post

+1
    Why don't you start by putting in fresh spark plugs?

Thread Information