Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

RXP gettin wooped by GTX Limited HELP!

ok here's the deal. I have an '04 RXP with new wear ring, Solas 14/19 impeller, rebuilt SC, deleted exhaust resonator and a 4" Kana intake. The Ski runs great and overall I'm pretty happy with it. It does however max out at about 7700-7800 RPM and 67 MPH (sorry, onboard speedometer...no gps available)

And here's the problem. My riding buddy (not for long if he keeps woopin me) has a 2005 GTX. It to has a Solas 14/19 impeller and new wear ring. He has all the parts for the 4" Kana intake but has yet to install it....other than the impeller his ski is stock. He's KILLING me out of the hole!!! From idle to full RPM he seems to get about a 15 to 20 foot jump on me every time...regardless of water conditions! Once on-plane and at full RPM we run neck-and-neck with no advantage.

Finally here's the question. Im looking for that 1 or 2 "bolt-ons" I can add to smoke his ass! I'm not sure if I need the knock sensor pigtail cause I am getting more than 7700 RPM (just barely). I've read here that the R&D intake grate helps with hole shots but we are neck and neck at top speed so i dont want to lose that...just not sure what to do.

Guys one final note, I just spent over $1300 rescuing this ski from years of neglect and I'm about tapped out. I'm looking for something fairly quick, fairly easy and fairly CHEAP to push me over the edge.

Thanks in advance for all of your sugestions.

you need to find out why the rpms are so low -- double check the basics and try again -- and if your able to get the rpm's up and you beat your buddy -- come take my GTX limited on so you get mad again -- i cap out at between 72 to 75 mph depending on the air temp

+1
    How many hours on the SC and when was the last time you checked the slip? 14/19r is a bit steep for your mods, Id try pitching it down a bit, I bet you'll gains some RPM's. I had ex-intercooler, riva grate, 14/19r, 4" intake, and rideplate and i was only getting 7950-8000 during mid summer.

+1
    Change your grate and get your prop pitched to turn 8100 - 8150. Not sure but I think the Riva grate is best for a RXP. The grate is holding you back and sometimes the 14/19 is a little to much prop for your mods.

+1
    I hate to admit it but the GTX is a great ski, I have several friends that have one and they almost keep up with me on my 07 RXP, check the SC, plugs and oil level. The first time I changed the oil i over filled it and lost RPM's.

+1
    Filling your ride plate holes will result in a 1 mph gain.

2 things...

You're missing 400rpms or so...problem there.

You'r buddy has a magic ski. No stock '05 GTX should be able to turn a 14/19 anywhere near 65mph.

+1
    You need to find the 300-400 RPM you are missing. Do not add mods to cover up a problem. Where do you ride? Are you in abnormally warm water & air or high elevation? On a properly running motor the 4" intake should be more than enough to turn that 14/19 given normal riding conditions.

Something is wrong out of the hole too. Maybe you need to practice your launch technique. You should have no problem beating him out of the hole. On paper you are lighter and making more power. Check for boost leaks on the supercharger to throttle body hose, high oil level, spark plugs, etc. There is a sticky somewhere on missing RPM/Speed.

+1
    Thanks guys...heres a bit more info. I just rebuilt the SC...slip within limits. Oil changed and level checked and double checked. Plugs are new. I'm intersested in this "repitching" but I got to be honest...it kinda scares me!!! I have no idea how to do it and the thought of bending the blades of a brand new $250 impeller kinda makes me ill. Any thought on the knock sensor pigtail? I am definitely going to install a grate...still not sure which one though.

Oldnick....youre right, it is a great ski...but I would never tell him that!!!! Besides, mine looks wayyyyy cooler! lol!

Read the how to on tweeking your prop...it won't hurt...nuthin to be skeered about.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information