Cool 07 RXP with 97hrs for 5500$ --vs-- 08 Ultra 250 wth 45 hrs for 6000$

Hello All!

I am quite sure you guys are tired of these threads, and I have read up a BUNCH but I am trying to get some input here. I have two ski's lined up and I can't decided which one to go with. Please bear with me, any input is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

08 Ultra250X 45 hrs, red, galvanized 08 trailer, 1" wedge other than that stock 6000$

07 RXP 97 hrs, green, aluminum 07 trailer, SS washer just install (preventieve, not because he dropped the ceramic I'm told), has straight pipe aluminum exhaust (stock included), and a small Element stereo.

I ride in rough water (always brackish/salt) a nice bit so I like the Ultra, but I like to jump wake sometimes when I can as well so the RXP is pulling me in along with it's better handling characteristics. I'm not pressed on a 3 man by any means. The aluminum trailer is also a plus and I know it's valued at a nice bit more, but how much?

I know this is the Kawi forum but what would you chose if you had the choice? Any input you have would be greatly appreciated! The RXP actually blue books for 150$ more.

I am coming from a Kawi ZXI 1100 which is a two seater and sux in the chop. I do love Kawi but some of the problems I have been reading about on the 250 scare me a bit. I know the RXP has it's flaws but they don't usually end in total engine failure once you get the SS washer in there. I do all my own maintenance and am into modifying cars but never really got much into modding the ski. I would like something that does not require me to work on it all the time!

Thanks for your input! Valuable links are also appreciated!

Yeah, I have been trying to weigh the pro's and con's of each. I'd take your 300X over all of them but it's just more then I wanna spend right now. lol I do have a boat so only half the summer is spend on the ski.

The pump issues on the Kawi really worry me the most. The guy I would be getting it from said he changed the oil every 10 hours! Not sure if that was because of the GIO issue (which is less so on the 08's right?) or just because he was anal. He did the changes himself and has the wrench or whatever. Does the 2011 shaft and bearing upgrade completely negate this problem? If so that is a big plus for the Kawi!

Between the pump issues and the paint problems (on the red of course) I am really worried about the Ultra and how it will hold up. Someone talk me into it. lol

He was asking 7 for the RXP!!! I got him down to 5500. On another note I just talked to a guy with an 05 with 60 hrs who is asking 5k for it, and he said he would do 4k. I was gonna jump, but then he said he has a guy who is on his way to check it out (and probably buy it he said) in 30 min... DOH! He does have 2 other 06's he is asking 6 each for with 40 hours and I am sure he would come down, but he said those are worth the most too him. He was selling 5 skis, also had 2 06 GTX's. Clearing the guy is loaded based on his photos and the house behind them. lol

If your going to buy the ultra make sure he pulls the plugs in front of you. Many like mine broke off spark plugs in the head.

Quote Originally Posted by no_more_rice View Post
    Offer him $4500.
    with no warranty, you are rolling the dice. Some possible future issues with the ultra are Cracked Head, GIO, Pump needs upgrade. The head is the most expensive. Thats what happened to mine. So what i am saying also is offer him $4,500 to leave room incase it needs anything.
    As far as riding style, two totally different skis. That has to be your decision.

Southcentral Pennsylvania Right next to lake Raystown
    Have owned both. The Sea Doo with the SS washer mod seemed a stone reliable machine. My 250x never instilled any confidence in me. I guess it was all the problems I read about here. I did only have 25 hrs on it and really did not have any real problems per say. But it did foul the plugs once for no reason what so ever and the idle would surge at times for no reason. I would buy the Sea Doo if I where you! Or maybe a nice Yamaha...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by slow poke View Post
    Yeah, I have been trying to weigh the pro's and con's of each. I'd take your 300X over all of them but it's just more then I wanna spend right now. lol I do have a boat so only half the summer is spend on the ski.

The pump issues on the Kawi really worry me the most. The guy I would be getting it from said he changed the oil every 10 hours! Not sure if that was because of the GIO issue (which is less so on the 08's right?) or just because he was anal. He did the changes himself and has the wrench or whatever. Does the 2011 shaft and bearing upgrade completely negate this problem? If so that is a big plus for the Kawi!

Between the pump issues and the paint problems (on the red of course) I am really worried about the Ultra and how it will hold up. Someone talk me into it. lol
    I've got the red and not sure what paint issues you are referring to? And I think the bearing upgrade happened in 2010 MY. I just hit 105 hours and haven't done it yet. And the ski has been flawless and runs like it did brand new.

I went with an RXP, but actually an 06 with 42 hours on it. Got the 06, and an 05 gtx limited with a single aluminum trailer for 8 grand. A DAM GOOD deal IMO. I need to upgrade the washers on them now though, and they need a good compound buff as they were lift kept with no covers in the summer and garaged in winter. Only lift kept for 2 seasons actually but the sun damage shows a bit, esp on the gtx as he bought that a year before. It needs a seat... Any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
    If your going to buy the ultra make sure he pulls the plugs in front of you. Many like mine broke off spark plugs in the head.
    I read about those issues, and planned to pull them on the spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red08Ultra250 View Post
    with no warranty, you are rolling the dice. Some possible future issues with the ultra are Cracked Head, GIO, Pump needs upgrade. The head is the most expensive. Thats what happened to mine. So what i am saying also is offer him $4,500 to leave room incase it needs anything.
    As far as riding style, two totally different skis. That has to be your decision.
    Thanks for the info, very happy with the way the RXP rides.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRTOutlaw View Post
    Have owned both. The Sea Doo with the SS washer mod seemed a stone reliable machine. My 250x never instilled any confidence in me. I guess it was all the problems I read about here. I did only have 25 hrs on it and really did not have any real problems per say. But it did foul the plugs once for no reason what so ever and the idle would surge at times for no reason. I would buy the Sea Doo if I where you! Or maybe a nice Yamaha...
    Thanks again for the input VIA PM!!! I would have went Yamaha but you can't touch one around here in this price range.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmk View Post
    I've got the red and not sure what paint issues you are referring to? And I think the bearing upgrade happened in 2010 MY. I just hit 105 hours and haven't done it yet. And the ski has been flawless and runs like it did brand new.
    It's a pretty common problem from what I have read, the red paint is super shitty/thin I guess and scratches very easily. Take good care to wax yours as much as possible and I'm sure you will be fine.

Very nice choice I've got the 06 Rxp red and black, got it for 5000 w/o a trailer, luckiliy a friend had one he wasn't using and sold it to me for 100 bucks, overall pretty good deal I'd sAy

Thread Information