Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

coldest water temp without wearing a wetsuit

Sup guys, i was just wondering whats the coldest water temp you guys will go in with out a wetsuit? I live in jersey and we just started cracking the 80's this week for the first time all year, so the water is prob still really cold and i dont own a wetsuit. Just trying to get a feel of whats to cold to ride in with out a wetsuit. thanks for all your input

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by salvage101 View Post
    Sup guys, i was just wondering whats the coldest water temp you guys will go in with out a wetsuit? I live in jersey and we just started cracking the 80's this week for the first time all year, so the water is prob still really cold and i dont own a wetsuit. Just trying to get a feel of whats to cold to ride in with out a wetsuit. thanks for all your input
    Depends on how big you nads are! We ride in November sometimes and the water is in the 50s but I stay straight and try not to fall off.

+1
    Air temp 65-70 with out a wet suit is about all I will do and the older I get the more of a pussy I am. Lately I have been wearing a haft suit in those temps. I would say 60 on water temp if it was 80 air temp.

it really depends on the air temp, wind conditions, and your personal tolerance (nad size) to cold. If not shure, just get a wet suit or half suit since it sounds like it is normally cold in your area. This will give you longer seasons too.

Air temp was 85, water temp upper 30s low 40s on Lake Michigan a couple weeks ago, no wetsuit, I sure as hell didnt fall in either

I wear 3 mm FJohn suit as base layer year round with multiple additional layers that can be added or removed as necessary. I consider it minimal required protection since water temps are sub 50 year round in many places throughout Sound. Also, in summer, there can be a lot of stinging jelly fish.

I'm a couple of states above you and no way in hell I'd go out in the Atlantic any time of the year without one. If you ride on a lake then I'd say your all set without one for the rest of the season.

Banned User
    +1
    the magic number i've always heard is 100* if the air + the water temp= 100 you'll be alright..... that is IF IF IF you can get out of the water, but better to prepare for the WHAT IF (what if the ski sinks and i cant get out)

You really should be prepared once the water temp gets in the low 70's:

Water Temperature
    Exhaustion or Unconsciousness in
    Expected Survival Time

70–80° F (21–27° C)
    3–12 hours
    3 hours – indefinitely

60–70° F (16–21° C)
    2–7 hours
    2–40 hours

50–60° F (10–16° C)
    1–2 hours
    1–6 hours

40–50° F (4–10° C)
    30–60 minutes
    1–3 hours

32.5–40° F (0–4° C)
    15–30 minutes
    30–90 minutes

<32° F (<0° C)
    Under 15 minutes
    Under 15–45 minutes

http://www.ussartf.org/cold_water_survival.htm

The #s I always see on this chart are sub 50 water immersion and its possible loss of consciousness in 30 and death in 60 minutes. I do know one or 2 people who can swim comfortably in 55 for 15 minutes with no wet suit but others may lose muscular strength and coordination and/or go into shock in as little as 5 minutes. Maybe you climb back onto ski but now you are shivering and still have to go 25 miles to get home. Its getting darker and colder and now ski will not start. The one thing you forgot was the cell phone and there is no one in sight. I always carry extra clothes in case of this scenario. Only forgot cell phone once.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information