Thread: vts advice

vts advice

Hey guys cool forum, thought id sign up. i have a 1995 720 xp but the vts controller burned up on the po. i am going to fix it soonish but also might get the trim fix or even manual control instead. I havent decided on that yet but i wanted to do some riding in the meantime. My problem is What angle if any should i set it at? This is my first pwc so i Will most likely just cruise around the lake not doing anything crazy. The machine is pretty cool. it has the 720 and it runs pretty nice. I had to bypass oil pump cause the po said it went wide open. I checked the cable and linkage and it seems fine. Ill leave that for another day.

Thanks in advance.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    your vts can be checked rather simply depending on what it is. first there is the fuse in the front gray box. its a 7.5A fuse. replace it and if it pops open the rear vts box. pull the motor. its a dual polarity motor. take it to the car battery and hook the leads up to the motor then reverse the wires you should see it rotate clockwise and counter clockwise. if not replace it. next if the fuse is good and the motor is good its the vts housing. there is no fix for that but to replace it. as for the angle that you want to set the trim at neutral to slightly up is where you want to ride it with out vts.
    as for the oil pump you may have to replace the oil pump. if you run it dry it will ruin the pump. when a oil pump goes wide open the spring on the pump is not set. when you say that you had to by pass it I hope that you are premixing 40:1
    you have a reliable motor in a good ski....enjoy and welcome to GH!

Hey thanks for the welcome and the tips. I know the prob with the vts. the rear controller box started smoking on the po. It burned a hole through the top. I wanted to fix it one day but i wanted to ride it a bit first. I read as much as i could then i signed up so I have seen all your guys posts for the premix amount. I just plugged the pump intake line and left the big lines for the lubing of the pump and also left the tank with some oil in it. All the other lines are in good condition and were left alone. i do want to eventually put maybe a new or rebuilt pump on one day.

By blocking the pump inlet hose i should be alright i think. And of course running the mix in my tank. this is my first pwc but not first 2-stroke. ive owned some beater dirtbikes so im pretty accustomed to working on the little motors. I have ( thanks to you guys site) realised these motors are very differrent in some ways but work on the same principal. Thanks for the nozzle tip. The po which is my boss and friend ran it pointed all the way down. I bet it was a dog. So do you mean under 5 degrees up or 10 ish or more?

Thanks alot airborne i noticed you are always giving advice to the newbs and very good advice. I know you only get personal satisfaction from helping others. So thank you for giving so much of your time, I noticed your quite generous with it.

+1
    not a problem. im just another two stroke junky. I think that should work on the oil pump and the block off you are describing. just dont run that oil pump. you are correct. same prinicple but the cooling system is totally different. it just takes a tear down to full understand the system...ask me how I know as for the nozzle 5-10 degrees will work just fine. it will bow up at first crack of the throttle but when you get it planed out you will be riding with just the last 2ft of the ski in the water.

I think ill try 7 ish degrees on the nozzle. A quick manual adjust would be cool. I guess I could not be a cheapskate and buy a new box for it. I also have no guages either. I really dont care too much but im sure its not too hard of a fix. I just dont know where to start. all off them are dead and the wiring is all there and not corroded. thanks for the help. oh I do have the manual and have read it tons but it kinda lacks or im not getting it one or the other.

when you set the nozzle at 7 degrees what part of the ski is at 0 degrees? the center line of the crank or what? i've asked this question in several different places on this site, but nobody answers. nobody knows? i doubt that. also is that 7 degrees up?

+1
    just spend the $125 and get a new VTS unit. the reason that there is no answer is because its all based on your riding style and ...well, just spending the money to have working equipment instead of riding junk

alright i guess im on my own on this one. ill just trial and error it. im not gonna spend the $ to fix it when i know it wont last. furthermore it doesnt feel like im ridin junk. those things are pretty damn quick. and 55 mph is plenty fast! thats if the speedo is accurate. that might be a whole different thread. but, anyway, there are tons of skis out there that dont have vts and they seem to work fine and people enjoy 'em.good luck with yours.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by redhousexp View Post
    alright i guess im on my own on this one. ill just trial and error it. im not gonna spend the $ to fix it when i know it wont last. furthermore it doesnt feel like im ridin junk. those things are pretty damn quick. and 55 mph is plenty fast! thats if the speedo is accurate.
    it will last as long as you take care of it. once you replace the broken part you will be fine as long as you own the ski. the speedo is called a dreamometer here cause its not even close. at best its 5-7 mph off.

Thread Information